News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Sci-Fi Question Around Relativity

Started by delboy, October 13, 2009, 04:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Great stuff, thanks Loki. The idea that I'm contemplating involves someone being able to travel x amount of light years away, and then, later, come back (*). My concern was, if in the process everyone he left behind will have aged considerably, then the plot fails. But if it's acceptable to simply ignore the time dilation issue, then the plot could work. The story mightn't, but the plot would. So if I come up with Del's Patented FTL Methodology, and lots of handwaving, I might get away with it...

Derek

(*) The story is a little bit more than this. To simply go away and come back would, after all, be a rip off of Lord Of The Rings  ;)
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

digitaldeath

I find it difficult trying to make scifi believable. It the speed of light it takes at least 30 m ins Mars to Jupiter, when they are closest. Sirius is 4 light years. If the take the kids on holiday that is a lot of 'are we nearly there yet'. You need to indroduce an X factor [in Mars I used subspace, in the Skydreamer series I warped time 'surfing'.] Star Trek distort time and space. That is what is baffling over real UAT/UFO s, time/distance. If you are using another dimension or surfing boundaries Einstein is spinning in his grave. Naturally the greatest anomaly is communication and a signal should not be able to travel faster than light. Am I boring anyone?