gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 02:20:31 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: .  (Read 5088 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »

What I said was, essentially, if you're not in a position to use the murder as a hook at the beginning of the tale, then why not use the other elements that you've already put in place; namely the MC's need to make a living and the fact that he's been despatched to the hostile north (or wherever it is) to do so. By introducing this as something he doesn't want to do but must (i.e. conflict), by giving him a desire and a need to get this job done, prove himself, and get back home again, you can create a sympathetic character, a hook, and with a bit of care, even a "ticking clock" element (I did this in my version of the opening by suggesting a love interest back home and also a love rival who will take advantage of his absence). This way, you're right in the middle of an interesting tale but without needing to mention murder yet.

Regards,
Del
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:21:55 PM by delboy » Logged

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Woody
AnnoyEd

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »

mustn't have my stuff here, ed keeps it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:09:25 PM by Woody » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx