News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

chaffinch

Started by delph_ambi, December 17, 2009, 08:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LashSlash

does this bird go 'chirrup-chirrup' or 'cheep-cheep'?

4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie
when theepie was opened
the birds began to sing
wasn't it etc ..... delf, have you ever heard a blackbird sing, not just make a noise - but realy sing? i havnt.....i know of a jack of hearts that stole some tarts.... but a blackbird sing....?.....noway-hozay

marc_chagall

If you want to hear a chaffinch, go to this page and listen to the audio file, top left. And of course I've heard a blackbird sing! Ever since I've lived here (over twenty years) there have been regular visits from blackbirds and they most definitely sing - not as beautifully as their close cousins, the thrushes, but still not bad. You can hear one singing here.

Ed

We used to have a mistle thrush visit our garden when we first lived here -- lovely to listen to. Haven't seen any in the last five years, sadly. All we've got now is squabbling sparrows and cawing rooks ::)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

marc_chagall

You're lucky to have the sparrows. They're disappearing from much of the south of the country.

Still get a few thrushes round here, and it's lovely to see (and hear) them, but the commonest bird here by miles is the jackdaw. I'm fond of them, even the one that has taken to sitting on the bathroom windowsill and trying to peer in, which was a bit disconcerting at first.

Ed

My mother always used to take that as a sign somebody in the family was near death.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]