gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 13, 2017, 07:45:54 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: BeWrite down again  (Read 9582 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: March 14, 2005, 02:53:38 PM »

scratch  Looks like they've got a MySql database problem over at BeWrite.  Typical - I wrote a long reply in a thread topic, spell checked it (my spelling is appalling without automated help) hit the post button and promptly lost the lot Angry

God I hate it when that happens....

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Walker
Coroner

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 04:10:48 PM »

I noticed that too, it's back up and running now Blunt.

"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:28:11 PM »

Yup, cheers afro  Turns out I didn't lose my reply either smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 04:29:10 AM »

Losing a post like that is SO-O-O-O-O frustrating - glad it didn't happen after all.
Robert M. Blevins
Coffin Maker

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 02:25:00 AM »

Like anyone would actually read it, though....BeWrite has been a mausoleum lately!  Someone needs to wake that place up.  They need to open membership again.

'Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.'
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 04:13:21 AM »

I don't think the admins care very much about the discussion forums - that's the impression I get, anyway.  They're only interested in the 'books' side of things.

When I first joined there, I thought I could learn a lot about writing and get ahead, but I didn't learn much (I actually learnt more useful stuff here).  There were some very nice people on the forums, and that's about all I can say on a positive note.

I think what killed the place off was a combination of Neil's ailing health and the Broemmel fiasco.  Most of the members drifted away to happier places, or got on with their novels instead.

Like you say, opening membership again would help liven things up.  I occasionally pop in there to see what's going on, but I don't often feel inclined to post.

Robert M. Blevins
Coffin Maker

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 12:04:16 AM »

You should post up there and get some of the folks interested in coming to Cafe Doom...
Let's face it, you have a better site here with a heck of lot more options. cool

'Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.'
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 05:44:50 AM »

Nice of you to say so, Robert, but I've still got a lot of work to do before we're ready for the Halloween relaunch Cheesy

Would you like your profile included on the author page with a link to adventurebooks?  We're having a three column front page, so you would get a link there too, if you would like one. afro

Walker
Coroner

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 12:50:51 PM »

I'm with Robert on this one. Cafe Doom is rapidly evolving into an excellent site with great people and some really cool stories. I stop in to BeWrite from time to time but seldom post anymore. The clique is still alive and kicking over there and it stifles those who aren't a part of it. This is always my first stop when I log on.

There's been a few sites that seemed to get off to a good start but ended up folding from external pressure very quickly. AIA is one of those sites that eventually closed it's doors and went underground. Too bad, it was a good one for a while.

Oh well, as long as CD stays put then I'm happy.   smiley

"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 10:15:33 AM »

I'm with Robert on this one. Cafe Doom is rapidly evolving into an excellent site with great people and some really cool stories. I stop in to BeWrite from time to time but seldom post anymore. The clique is still alive and kicking over there and it stifles those who aren't a part of it. This is always my first stop when I log on.

There's been a few sites that seemed to get off to a good start but ended up folding from external pressure very quickly. AIA is one of those sites that eventually closed it's doors and went underground. Too bad, it was a good one for a while.

Oh well, as long as CD stays put then I'm happy.   smiley
I hope I can justify your faith in CafeDoom's evolution, but I realise I'm a very small part of what makes this place tick - I'm just the caretaker.  It's all the nice folks who visit and share their talents that make it good to be here.  I enjoy it very much, and I'm very happy to hear that others do smiley

Vive la Doom! cheers grin

JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 11:19:22 AM »

Hear hear!
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 04:41:53 PM »

I'll second that emotion!  cheers

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 06:45:57 PM »

The clique is still alive and kicking over there and it stifles those who aren't a part of it.

Gulp. I guess I am part of that clique. My hope is to welcome all and encourage writers there, not to stifle anyone -- maybe one person Wink  I stay in Bewrite along with several other fora because of friends there, inertia, a bunch of my stories linked via my CV,  and  -- a big AND -- being a mod & editor looks good on my CV. I have to agree with everyone's comments with respect to the reason for the falling off of BW. Many a forum goes through cycles - the slow start, uptick of exuberant introductions, steady slog of writerly work, and denouement, like a jaded love affair. However, I've been promised by the administrator that new members are going to be let in - about time.

I luv this place though. I literally have my morning coffee with you guys.  bleh

Geoff

Walker
Coroner

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 08:09:38 PM »

Perhaps I was mistaken with that remark, Goeff, or out of line.
I remember the trouble over at BW in the recent past, I guess that's jaded my view of it. I've never considered you as part of the clique and, to be honest, I don't really spend enough time there to make that judgement. I used to spend considerable time there, but it got so intense I couldn't be bothered to visit much after that. Maybe that band of troublemakers I remember has disbanded?
Your acount of a site's cyclical pattern seems spot on. I've seen other sites follow the same course. I hope that BW makes a comeback, there are many, many great folks over there ( I believe Donna is a mod too).

Sorry Goeff. I hope I didn't step on anyone elses toes.   undecided

Peter Gabriel.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 03:22:35 AM »

No, I don't think you trampled any toes, Walker smiley  I know what you meant - I always felt a little bit like I was 'outside the club, looking in', even though the nice folks were welcoming.  Geoff being one of those nice folks afro

I never looked at the place in the same way after Neil posted this -

***we temporarily close the forum (TODAY -- I can't cope while the moderators are away for the next fortnight) and that membership is strictly by application or invitation when we re-open. I don't care if we only have a dozen members -- if they're all kosher and show real promise.

***we lose the entire forum permanently (my preference). And return to the old system of personal email messages between the team and authors.

***WE LOSE BEWRITE COMMUNITY. This would be sad. But why bother with it? Everyone involved on the contributor side has day jobs ... it's about time they realised that we do, too! Our day job is called *BeWrite Books*. The job is to get new authors into print..

***remember that short stories and poetry don't pull us a hill o' beans. This has been a FREE service, even to digging into our own shallow pockets to subsidise collections and anthologies. Why bother? I no longer feel inclined to waste my time on general freebies. There's a very small bunch of developing authors I would sell my soul for. The others have opportunities elsewhere.

I'd prefer to close the BeWrite Community completely on January 30. It has always been obviously disproportionate effort and has cost me my health, my home life, a financial tribunal, and my precious work. Do you know that during everyone else's palaver I -- one of the very, very few *real* pros here -- have not had a second to write a single word of my own since May 2000?

Someone actually wrote to me this morning thinking he was doing us a favour by attracting new members! What's he on??? The very last thing we need is new members. If you don't like it here, don't waste time making a comment ... just go somewhere else.

undecided

Being a fairly new member at the time, and never having felt I show 'real promise', I didn't feel very welcome at all, after that. Sad

Glad to see you pop in and have your morning coffee with us, Geoff.  Thanks for the kind words.  You know you're always welcome to stay for tea, too smiley
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 03:26:49 AM by blunt » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx