gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55861 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 November 21, 2018, 01:42:05 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transformation by Whitley Strieber  (Read 1952 times)
NoxInflux
Stiff

« on: January 09, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »

Hey fellow horror writing fiends!

I know this is an older book but I wanted to bring it up.

I read a lot of scary material of various sub-genres. I am kind of desensitized to being disturbed by anything but this book really spooked me. Possibly because the things he talks about (some of it) is supposed to exist. Not only that, but I experienced a couple events in the book myself, and thought it was only me, until I read descriptions of the same thing in detail.

It is the follow up to Communion. I saw the movie. Christopher Walken is excellent (of course).

I was really surprised by this book. I have seen UFO's a couple times myself. And I don't mean things that look like a moving star, I mean big obvious things that would make you crap yourself. This book makes you think of that kind of stuff a lot. It is really interesting. Real life horror. How much of it is real? What does it mean?

Anyone suggest any other books of real life horror such as this?
Anyone read this book?

Have you seen a UFO? Had "missing time"?

I would like to know of other works and opinions!  Shocked

Nox Influx

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:04:27 AM »

Hi Nox. Way back in the seventies/ eighties I read a few of Strieber's novels. I don't really recall many of them (although I still have a copy of The Wolfen). I later came across Communion, dived in and read it, and found it to be probably the scariest / most disturbing book I'd read up to that point. And probably since. I don't know if it would have the same reaction on me now. I'm older, wiser, and a lot more cynical. But, as you alluded to, it's scary because it's supposedly real and written well enough to feel true. One day I'll go back and reread it but I don't want to lose that magical memory. I've never seen the movie, deliberately, as I feel it would devalue the book, or the recollection of the book.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:23 AM »

Can't say I've ever seen a UFO, but a couple of friends of mine swear blind they saw something huge hovering overhead, in town, of all places. We laughed and put it down to how much they must have drunk, but they vehemently swear it's true, so it got me wondering.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
NoxInflux
Stiff

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »

HI Derek! Hi Ed!

The first UFO I saw, I was about 12 years old in a small town in Eastern Canada.

it was the middle of the day, I estimate around 2PM.

It was a LARGE black triangle. Each corner had a light on it. It turned upwards and seemed like it flew up into the atmosphere. It only lasted about 10 or 12 seconds.

It was vivid and obvious, but it was there for such a short amount of time that I wondered if perhaps I was the only witness.
I wasn't.

Years later, reports of "black triangle" UFO's are rampant on the internet. Perhaps one of the most common types of UFO's witnessed.

I had seen it long before I ever found out others have seen the same thing.

I wrote a short poem about it, but was lost on a USB drive, but I plan to re-write the whole thing.

The 2nd UFO sighting was MUCH scarier. I have seen at least 3, it is strange, the more I think about it I can recall other things which my memory seemed to of suppressed. One example is a ghost that both me & my brother saw at a cabin which is scary shiz! Not hard to get ideas for horror stories on this world if you just open your eyes!!!!!!!! grin

Nox Influx
Kerr
Critter

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »

Hi everyone. I've never seen anything myself, though I'm always open-minded. Seems more than a possibility with billions of galaxies that some have beat us to the punch before destroying their planets. 
NoxInflux
Stiff

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »

[Aliens] coming here and seeing us must be like going to the zoo and watching primates act silly. The perfect metaphor for mankind is a monkey with a handgun.

Sad but true.

undecided

Nox Influx
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx