News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Can anyone suggest a good fantasy novel or collection of short stories?

Started by elay2433, March 18, 2010, 03:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elay2433

I'm sort of kicking around a few story ideas and want to do some reading/listening to see what's already been done, and to help inspire me.

Is there anything out there similar to The Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth (the movie), The Drawing of the Three?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Woody

I would suggest "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. In collaboration these two authors always, IMO, produce something that is not like anything they produce separately.

From the blurb on the back of the book;

The Talisman is the story of a young and courageous boy searching for the talisman, the one thing that will save his dying mother. His quest takes him into the menacing Territories where violence, surprise and the titanic struggle between good and evil reach across the mythic landscape.

And not forgeting Weaveworld by Clive Barker.

desertwomble

There's 'The Undead World of Oz', a monster mash-up!

http://coscomentertainment.com/undeadoz.html

I also got the feeling that 'The Road' by Cormac MacCarthy was based on 'The Wizard of Oz', though most folks disagree with my interpretation.

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Caz

If it's a fairy tale type story you're looking for then I reckon Stephen King's 'The Eyes Of The Dragon' would be a good bet. It's for adults and children and I thought it to be a fine read.
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Rev. Austin

It's a mammoth undertaking, but King's Dark Tower saga is absolutely blinding.  Otherwise, I have no idea  :cheesy:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

elay2433

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Woody, I've already read The Talisman, but I'll be taking a look at Weaverworld for sure. Thanks.

Thanks Womble. I tried to read McCarthy's 'All The Pretty Horses', but the style rubbed me the wrong way. I know he's a great story-teller - I've seen the movie - but I couldn't get past all the rule breaking. I tried to read it when I first started learning the craft and so I think that may be why I put down 'All The Pretty Horses'. It had been praised and so I expected to be blown away. Then, as I'm in the midst of learning what not to do as a writer, there's this novel with rave reviews, and the author, McCarthy, is doing alot of what is frowned upon. I really should give him another chance. So I'll check out The Road. Thanks.

Thanks Rev. I've read all seven tower books, the first six twice. By the time the last novel came out, I had to rehash the old stuff to be fully immersed in the tale. Looking at the Tower series as a whole, and comparing it to The Wizard of Oz, and (the movie) The Labyrinth, is what interests me. This is the sort of epic tale I'd like to write, reinforcing some of the themes that were established in these tales, but putting my own original take and my own unique perspective to it all.

What enthralls me is, first, the transportation device - with wizard we have the tornado, with the labyrinth we have the incantation (which, hillarioulsly, must be said exactly right), and with the Tower series, specifically the drawing of the three, we have the doors on the beach. Another consistency we have concerning the three tales is the fact that in each, a main character is drawn to another world and then meets/encounters/draws at least three friends to accompany them on their journey/task. In the wizard there are the Scarecrow, the Tinman, and the Cowardly Lion. Then in the Tower Series, we have Jake, Eddie and Sussanah. In the Labyrinth it's a bit looser, but you could say Sarah encounters her three also: first Hoggle, then Ludo, and then finally Sir Didymus (although there are may minor characters that help her through her journey).

Similarly, all three tales deal with the thin veil of reality, and also with how humans perceive/interact/effect their own reality.

So I guess what I'm really looking for are more tales that reflect the same sort of sequence. First, an original/believable transportation device to take a main character to another world/reality/level (and yes, a tornado was perfectly believable back then, though Kings usage of doors on a beach, in the Tower series is a brilliant example of how to beguile a more discerning modern audience), and second, a cast of characters to assist said main character, and third, a tale that reflects a similar theme – one regarding decisions, morality, mortality, and the thin veil of existence, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestion so far. Looking forward to anymore.

jingold

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?  Seems to me there was a different method of travel to Narnia for each book, but the wardrobe is most memorable, I think.

Woody

Ed

Quote from: elay2433 on March 20, 2010, 08:43:03 PM
So I guess what I'm really looking for are more tales that reflect the same sort of sequence. First, an original/believable transportation device to take a main character to another world/reality/level (and yes, a tornado was perfectly believable back then, though Kings usage of doors on a beach, in the Tower series is a brilliant example of how to beguile a more discerning modern audience), and second, a cast of characters to assist said main character, and third, a tale that reflects a similar theme – one regarding decisions, morality, mortality, and the thin veil of existence, etc.

Heh - you know what springs to mind after you lay out the story like that? Harry Potter :shocked: Blatant ripoff? :huh:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Grillmeat

I'm a little "Jonny come lately" here but have you read anything by David Gemmell?  Granted, its not new. He died a year or two ago but I used to love his stuff. Specifcally, you might read the story: Morningstar. Its an interesting take on myth and legend and how the things we believe, or are told,  are not always the way things really are.
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!