News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

You Text, I Text, We Text

Started by delboy, June 02, 2010, 05:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

... but what's the past tense? Texted? Text? Texed?

What do you guys use?

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

digitaldeath

I always step back one letter, sex is more interesting than looking at a mobile phone.
Textile maybe, silk knickers.

digitaldeath

sensibly
texted
texting
did you text
but not i text my friend yesterday
can you text john is an action

delboy

The kids in my household say "I texted him" not "I text him". But is that right?
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Pharosian

Here's the incredibly schizophrenic answer posted at wiki.answers.com:

Q: Is the correct past-tense word for text pronounced text-ed?

A: Actually, no it's not. You could say that, and everyone would understand you perfectly. However, because "text" is not yet recognized as an official verb, you would have to say, "I sent you a text [message] last night" or "When I woke up, I realized he had sent me a text [message]."

yes 

some examples are...

1.   To send a text message to: She texted me when she arrived.
   2.   To communicate by text message: He texted that he would be late.

Around the office, I hear people use the word "texted." I think it's only a matter of time before "text" makes its debut as an "official verb." The context in which you want to use the word or phrase would probably make a difference. If it's in fiction, and especially if it's in dialogue, go with texted. If it's non-fiction or something more formal, maybe you'd want "sent a text message."

JonP

I'd say texted. I'm sure I've heard "Facebooked" too. Tweeted is an interesting one, because it can be used transitively or intransitively </grammar nerd>

delph_ambi

Texted is grammatically correct, but nobody who isn't Jeremy Clarkson should ever say that. Use 'text' for all tenses (correct spelling for past is taken to be texed, ie texted with the t omitted, but usually written 'text').

digitaldeath

Use a landline.
I telephoned you last night.

Rev. Austin

facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.