gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55958 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 April 17, 2021, 12:40:23 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  WHC freebies
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WHC freebies  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
WHC freebies
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:42:44 PM »
Had a pleasant surprise when I arrived at WHC 2010 - everybody gets a goody-bag full of books. Meself included :afro:

I also picked up a fair few freebies from the BFS table, and three Tim Lebbon chapbooks named 'Coldbrook'. I kicked myself about them, actually, because I could quite easily have got them signed if I'd spotted them in time for the mass signing. Despite seeing him around on several occasions afterward, I didn't like to pester him to autograph them. I reckon these guys must get pissed off with it, you know.

Anyway, just to forewarn you, I thought I might give a few away to Doomers, maybe as mini competition prizes, or somesuch - just a bit of fun. I have to check out exactly how much it's going to cost to post them, though. I have a feeling the international ones might be a killer, and I'd hate to exclude anybody, so I'll check it all out before I come to a decision.

If anybody's interested, I've got:

2 copies - Anno Mortis by Rebecca Levene
2 copes - El Sombra by Al Ewing
1 copy - Strange Angels by Lili St Crom
1 copy - Time Hunter by Stefan Petrucha
1 copy - Fantasy Tales magazine
2 copies - Coldbrook (chap book) by Tim Lebbon

To give away. That's a combined value, going by cover price, of over $50. Cool, huh? :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Rev. Austin

• loves you like his own sister.
  • Critter
  • Coroner
  • AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE
    • The full skinny on Rev. Austin.  YES.  SIR.  REE.
Re: WHC freebies
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »
VERY cool, Ed!  Although I've only heard/read Tim Lebbon - what sort of stuff are the other books about?  Apart from 'horror'  ;)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:40:12 PM »
I like the cover art of El Sombra - the blurb starts with "There is no escape from the ultimate Reich." To quote the rest: The terrifying Luftwaffe, on their steam driven wings, have torn apart the sleepy town of PPasito in the heart of Mexico, only to rebuild it as a Terrifying clockwork town where the people become human robots, furthering the nightmare dreams of the fuhrer. General Eisenberg and his sociopathic son Alexis, etc., blah, blah.

Anno Mortis is set in ancient Rome circa 40AD. Slaves are disappearing, the bodies of the dead are being stolen and mysterious shipment arrive from Egypt in the middle of the night. Barbarian Gladiator, Boda, uncovers a plot to breach the barrier between life and death, etc., blah, blah. Sounds like it might be interesting.

Strange Angels looks to be a romance set in a thriller/zombie novel. Bliss says "An elegantly written thriller." The Sun says, "A cracking read."

Time Hunter is about a bomb that detonates in post war London, which awakens strange half human creatures that start attacking people. It's described as part mystery, part detaective, part dark fantasy, part sci-fi.

Actually, I've just read the inside cover of the Tim Lebbon one, which in effect prohibits redistribution of it, so I doubt I'll include it, unless I can get permission from the publisher, which seems pretty unlikely. On closer inspection it's just a sampler - a chapter or two from a larger work, so it's designed to leave you wanting more, and not a self contained work. Sorry about that.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

LeeThompson

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »
Very cool, Ed! Yeah, you don't want to ship to the States. I mailed a novel to a friend in the UK and it cost $14 USD  shipping for one book. Mailed one to Australia and it was around the same.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:35:12 AM »
I'll check it out today. Sometimes our post, especially international, is cheaper than yours. Not sure why. :scratch:

delph_ambi

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »
Normal sized paperbacks in a jiffy bag to anywhere outside Europe cost around £5.30 to post in my experience, Ed.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:22:08 AM »
That's not so bad, is it. Thanks, Delph :smiley:

LeeThompson

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:16:31 AM »
That is weird that it's not as expensive for you to ship them. But cool!

Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  WHC freebies

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx