Appalachian Folklore (closes 1st Sept 2010)

Started by Ed, April 21, 2010, 02:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

From Michael Knost:

Submission Guidelines:

Title: Appalachian Folklore: Dark Tales of Superstition and Old Wives' Tales

Publisher: Woodland Press

Editors: Michael Knost and Eugene Johnson

Format: Trade Paperback

Payment: Three-cents per word and one contributor copy.

Story Length: Up to 2500 words

Deadline: September 1, 2010

Please do not query about submissions until November 1, 2010.

Send Submissions to: appalachianfolklore@yahoo.com

Please send attachments (.doc or .rtf) when submitting, please do not copy and paste in the body of the email.

Publication Date: Late 2010

Please take note this is a theme anthology...if your story does not fit the theme, it will not be considered. Therefore, please adhere to the following: Stories should be horror or dark fiction and dealing with a known Appalachian superstition or old wives' tale. We DO NOT want stories with excessive content or language.

We purchase First English Anthology Rights, non-exclusive audio and e-rights for publication in the English language anywhere in the world.

Manuscript format: Please double-space, use 12-point Times New Roman font, use a slug line in the header (not into the manuscript itself), use bold, italics, underline where desired...format just as you intend the reader to see it. Please include name and contact information in the manuscript.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

I'd like to get into some of these Appalachian anthos, but my main problem is I don't know much about the region. When this one cropped up, I thought here we go again - more frustration :idiot: But a quick google brought this page to light: http://www.angelfire.com/tn2/ScottCoTnMemories/superstitions.html which might be of some help if you're considering writing something for this one :afro:

I laughed out loud a couple of times as I read down through. No whistling before breakfast, huh? You've got to wonder where that one came from, haven't you? Pa's sleeping off the moonshine while Jr's up with the larks and whistling a happy tune again... "Damnit - tell that kid he'll be crying before supper if he don't STFU!!!!" :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

desertwomble

Hey, Ed!

I reckon I musta eaten a watermelon seed!

That's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it.

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Ed

Just noticed Michael appealing for more entries on this one. He obviously hasn't had enough yet. I thought about doing one myself, but don't know anything about Appalachian folklore. The thing is, though, from what I've read about Appalachian superstitions, they're the same as you find everywhere else in the world, like knocking on wood, or black cats crossing your path. Stuff like that. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem, really.