News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

And now from the other side of the pond

Started by Grillmeat, April 22, 2010, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

I've seen a few places like that. One guy left his girlfriend dead, in a bathtub full of water, for several months. He carried on as if nothing had happened. It was the smell that eventually brought the death to the attention of the authorities.

Another one I saw was a three bedroom flat where the woman had lived on her own. She had progressed from one room to the next, never washing any clothes, never throwing away anything -- just piling it up in the room until she couldn't get into it any more. Then she'd move onto the next. Consequentially, the whole flat was full of old clothes, half eaten fast food meals, and other assorted rubbish, floor to ceiling, in every room. In addition, the toilet had blocked up some time ago, so she used the bath instead. It was brimming to the point where it had overflowed stinking slurry onto the floor, which had footprints tracked through it -- she was still using it as a toilet. The space issue got to her in the end -- she simply ran out of room, so she left and never went back.

Outwardly she was normal enough. Held down an office job for the National Trust, and was apparently very bright.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

fnord33

My favorite is the one where the nurse hit the homeless guy with her car and left him stuck in her windshield for about a week until he died. They made a pretty decent movie about it, but the real story is actually crazier than the film. http://www.amazon.com/Stuck-Mena-Suvari/dp/B001CIOCO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272009403&sr=8-1

Oddly enough, I think this chick kept her house pretty tidy.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Pharosian

Quote from: Ed on April 23, 2010, 02:34:09 AM
I've seen a few places like that. One guy left his girlfriend dead, in a bathtub full of water, for several months. He carried on as if nothing had happened. It was the smell that eventually brought the death to the attention of the authorities.

You wrote a memorable flash piece based on this. I'd put up the word that week, and chose "rank." I didn't know it was based on real llfe. Ewwww...

Ed

Quote from: Pharosian on April 23, 2010, 09:30:38 AM
Quote from: Ed on April 23, 2010, 02:34:09 AM

You wrote a memorable flash piece based on this. I'd put up the word that week, and chose "rank." I didn't know it was based on real llfe. Ewwww...

Hah - yeah. I'm not sure if he actually drank her bathwater, though. ;)

Quite a few of the flashes I do are inspired by true life events. Sometimes it's hard to believe people do the things they do.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Grillmeat

Yeah its like they always say, real life is stranger than fiction.....
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

LeeThompson

Quote from: Grillmeat on April 23, 2010, 07:21:42 PM
Yeah its like they always say, real life is stranger than fiction.....

So true...  :hidin: