Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Effect or affect?  (Read 1933 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator
Coroner

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: April 26, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »

I always though an 'effect' 'affected' something. So I would say something like - A poisonous cloud drifted over a residential area and twenty people were adversely affected. The cloud had a negative effect on their health.

Is that correct, or not?

The example somebody recently gave was:

You have been changed by something that has affected you. Thereby, you have been effected by it.

Is that right? I would have said 'affected by it' was right. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
JonP
Critter
Coroner

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »

I'd go for "affected by" too. "Effected" means "caused to happen", doesn't it?

Ed
Administrator
Coroner

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »

Yeah, as in 'effected a change'.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »

The word "affect" is a verb, and "effect" is typically a noun, though as Jon pointed out, it can be used as a verb, and yes, it means to cause to happen or to bring about.

Ed's poisonous cloud example is correct; the one given below that is incorrect.
Grillmeat
Critter
Coroner

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »

I don't think I every get the usage of those word correct. Thanks for bringing this up!

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
fnord33
Critter
Coroner

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:34:52 AM »

I saw this thread earlier and didn't want to say anything because I'd have probably been wrong. Later I found this:

http://grammartips.homestead.com/tenerrors.html -It's a list of other commonly bungled words.

It won't have the effect you were going for when you started this thread, but I think that it will affect my writing in a positive way. Did I do that right?   

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
Administrator
Coroner

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:56:27 AM »

Yep, I'd say that was correct, fnord afro

Thanks for removing any doubt, Pharosian. Scary to think this person is handing out advice as an editor and getting it wrong themself. I know we all make mistakes, but if a person sets themself up as an editor then it's the kind of thing they have to get right, isn't it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: