Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Effect or affect?  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
Effect or affect?
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
I always though an 'effect' 'affected' something. So I would say something like - A poisonous cloud drifted over a residential area and twenty people were adversely affected. The cloud had a negative effect on their health.

Is that correct, or not?

The example somebody recently gave was:

You have been changed by something that has affected you. Thereby, you have been effected by it.

Is that right? I would have said 'affected by it' was right. I'm not 100% sure, though.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Ooh look, my new website!
Re: Effect or affect?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:11:09 PM »
I'd go for "affected by" too. "Effected" means "caused to happen", doesn't it?

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:24:45 PM »
Yeah, as in 'effected a change'.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Pharosian

• Obelizer
  • Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »
The word "affect" is a verb, and "effect" is typically a noun, though as Jon pointed out, it can be used as a verb, and yes, it means to cause to happen or to bring about.

Ed's poisonous cloud example is correct; the one given below that is incorrect.

Offline Grillmeat

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
I don't think I every get the usage of those word correct. Thanks for bringing this up!
OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

Offline fnord33

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • myspace page
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:34:52 AM »
I saw this thread earlier and didn't want to say anything because I'd have probably been wrong. Later I found this:

http://grammartips.homestead.com/tenerrors.html -It's a list of other commonly bungled words.

It won't have the effect you were going for when you started this thread, but I think that it will affect my writing in a positive way. Did I do that right?   
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 01:56:27 AM »
Yep, I'd say that was correct, fnord :afro:

Thanks for removing any doubt, Pharosian. Scary to think this person is handing out advice as an editor and getting it wrong themself. I know we all make mistakes, but if a person sets themself up as an editor then it's the kind of thing they have to get right, isn't it.

Print Print  
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines
Writer's Corner design by Bloc | XHTML | CSS