gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55958 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 April 17, 2021, 12:26:48 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  I'm Writing a Dark Fantasy Novella Series
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I'm Writing a Dark Fantasy Novella Series  (Read 3090 times)

Offline SeanSilk

• Stiff
I'm Writing a Dark Fantasy Novella Series
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »
I am doing research for our novel, and I would like to ask you a few questions.
Do you like sword and sorcery novels?  What will make you continue to read the novel?
How scary do you like ritual scenes, and/or scenes which involve a cursed evil land,
perhaps a forest?  What about scenes in a novel that require some sort of "dark ritual"
performed by evil priests and the High Priest?  What do you like to read in those scenes,
and what don't you like reading in those scenes?

I thank you for taking the time to read our message, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sean 

delph_ambi

Re: I'm Writing a Dark Fantasy Novella Series
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 11:12:37 PM »
Good luck with this, Sean. I'm the worst person to ask, as I don't like or read sword and sorcery novels, but plenty of people do, so hopefully you'll get some useful responses. However, in any novel, it's the sheer quality of the writing that keeps me reading, regardless of the genre.

Offline JonP

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Ooh look, my new website!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:42:27 AM »
Wot she said ^^^

On a related subject, here's what Gene Roddenberry had to say on the subject (sci-fi rather than fantasy, but it still applies).

Offline Rook

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 06:05:07 AM »
Delph is right. (as usual)
I have and do read a lot of sword/sorcery, and the writing is what counts, what keeps me engaged. Of course, with this genre in particular, you have to be careful, because it has all been done before. (not that this is untrue for other genres, but sword/sorcery seems to follow tropes more often, IMO)
A good book is a good book.
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Offline Pharosian

• Obelizer
  • Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
A key ingredient--if not THE key ingredient--in successful fiction is interesting characters. It doesn't matter whether your dark ritual takes place in a forest or a train station if the characters performing it are cardboard stereotypes.

In my opinion, if you have to ask what kinds of scenes people like, you've already lost the battle. The way you find out what people like is by having them read your stuff and give you feedback. You learn quickly enough what works and doesn't work using specific examples rather than nebulous questions.

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:02 AM »
I don't think the location or content of set pieces themselves matter all that much, as long as the characters have something to battle against and they react to plot events in a realistic fashion. What makes me continue to read any book is the quality of the writing (I need to forget that I'm reading and just immerse myself in the writer's world), and an interest in, or affinity with, the main character.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  General Discussion  |  I'm Writing a Dark Fantasy Novella Series

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.17 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx