News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

open reading of poetry manuscripts. june 30 deadline

Started by fnord33, June 24, 2010, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnord33

I don't have a book worth of poems, but hopefully this will be of help to someone else. It seems like a fairly cool publisher.

Black Ocean-

We have been accepting unsolicited poetry manuscripts for consideration since June 1st and will continue to do so until June 30th. For complete guidelines see below, or download the PDF available on our Submit page here.

We charge no reading fees and give everyone a fair read. In exchange we ask that you give us your best work. We also ask that you familiarize yourself with the work we have already published so as not to waste our time and your hope, because, let's be honest--both are in short supply these days...

It also behooves you to pick up a few of our titles for your personal collection because at least a conversational knowledge of two or more of our authors is now considered de rigueur for any cocktail party worth attending. [Also, as a poet, I have to ask: why would you trust us with your beloved manuscript if you don't even know what we publish? Are you that callous and desperate?]

This is an exciting time we live in! What are you waiting for? Let's become very close.

- Entries must be emailed between June 1 and June 30.

- Poetry manuscripts should be 48 to 100 pages, single-spaced and on an 8-1/2" x 11" or A4 page only. Emailed submissions are preferred in PDF format. If you cannot email a PDF, then please send as a Word document.

- We are not accepting unsolicited prose manuscripts or translations at this time.

- Only one manuscript per person.

- Please do not resubmit a manuscript from previous years without significant revision.

- Include: a cover letter with a brief biographical note, and an acknowledgments page listing previous publications.

- Manuscript revisions are not permitted during the open reading.

Send submissions to:
blackoceansubmit@gmail.com
Find our aesthetic at blackocean.org
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

leatherdykeuk

Sounds splendid. Had I not just self-published a manuscript I'd have jumpedat this!

delph_ambi

Thanks for this, fnord. I've gathered together a bunch of vaguely themed poems and sent them off, my theory being that they may be more interested in a smallish themed collection than a massive unthemed one. Could be completely wrong of course. I often am.  :(