News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

BLOODY CARNIVAL! (I'm not swearing, it's an antho!) deadline: when filled!

Started by Rev. Austin, July 29, 2010, 06:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Austin

HUUUZZZAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

BLOODY CARNIVAL

Edited by Jessy Marie Roberts

Email submissions to: bloodycarnival@pillhillpress.com

OPEN UNTIL FILLED DEADLINE
Official Call For Subs At: http://www.pillhillpress.com/bloodycarnival.html
Please put the title of your story, your last name, and the word count in the subject line of your email

We're looking for the frigtening, freaky and fantastic... BLOODY CARNIVAL is a collection of HORROR stories that take place at carnivals, festivals, amusement parks, and fairs. We want scary and suspenseful stories. Plot-appropriate gore encouraged.

We will consider stories approx 500-20,000 words. Payment is 1¢ per word upon publication. No multiple subs, simulatneous subs or reprints.

DEADLINE: Open until filled. We will accept/reject submissions on a first come, first serve basis. We will set a deadline when the anthology is approximately 3/4 of the way full. Expected response time is under one month. Please don't query about the status of your submission until 30 days have passed.

The PHP website is here: http://pillhillpress.lefora.com/

I've submiited my circus story from the crit group!  I hope they like it  ::)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

desertwomble

Some of the info on Pill Hill's site seems to be different from where you sourced it, Rev, i.e.

"Payment is 1/4¢ per word upon publication, no contributor's copy. Author's are given the option of purchasing discounted copies."

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Ed

I have something that would fit this with a bit of finishing off and an edit. Sounds like a potentially good collection, but the rewards are pretty meagre, aren't they. I'd do it for a contributor copy, or pay that wasn't a fraction of a penny per word. I can't bear the thought of giving away my stories for nothing when I think of all the hours and effort I put into the few that I write, though.

I wonder when they changed the pay rate :scratch:

EDIT:

Where did you see this rate advertised, Womble? On the forum post it's still reading as one cent per word. :huh:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Quote from: desertwomble on July 30, 2010, 01:23:19 AM
Some of the info on Pill Hill's site seems to be different from where you sourced it, Rev, i.e.

"Payment is 1/4¢ per word upon publication, no contributor's copy. Author's are given the option of purchasing discounted copies."

Different anthos have different payment, DW.  For instance, the Gone With the Dirt one is 1/4¢ per word upon publication, no contributor's copy.  Bloody Carnival IS 1 cent per word payment  ;)

desertwomble

http://www.pillhillpress.com/bloodycarnival.html

This is weird. Here in Abu Dhabi I'm being told by this link, 'Payment is 1/4¢ per word upon publication, no contributor's copy. Author's are given the option of purchasing discounted copies.'

http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Rev. Austin

Hmmm.  Well I'd be inclined to believe the forum post rather than the sub call since the forum post is more recent!  But, I'll ask anyway.  ;)

elay2433

Interesting. It's 1 cent on the forum, but only 1/4 cent under the open submissions. I'd bet it's 1/4 cent considering they're accepting works up to 20,000 words.

Rev. Austin

Balls!

I stand corrected - they made a mistake on the actual forum post and it IS 1/4¢ per word upon publication, no contributor's copy.  How annoying!  I'd rather have no pay and a copy of the book then some pay and no book...I think.  To be honest I might change my tune if I get accepted and see a few bob appear in my paypal account  :grin:

Ed

Same here -- I'd rather have a copy of the book than a derisory stipend. The latter just makes me angry. I don't know why, but it does. The thought of a four thousand word story only being worth ten measly dollars makes me wonder why I've put so many hours and days and weeks and months and years of effort into learning this craft. I like to think one of my stories is worth a bit more than that. Perhaps it's not, though. :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

Of course it's worth more, but writing's become a bit like working in some sweatshop making designer clothes: the person who does the hard work and actually constructs the garment gets peanuts, while the person who pays an arm and a leg for the finished product probably doesn't even know how to sew a button on.

Rev. Austin

Quote from: elay2433 on July 30, 2010, 02:08:01 PM
Interesting. It's 1 cent on the forum, but only 1/4 cent under the open submissions. I'd bet it's 1/4 cent considering they're accepting works up to 20,000 words.

I'm not sure  why they don't have a 'cap' payment, like a lot of other places.  I can't even work out what dollar amount 20K words would be at 1/4 cent a word, I honestly can't.  :scratch:  ::)  :grin:

Mind you, the cover to this book (and the Gone With the Dirt one) is pretty cool, and I'm always up for having a story in a book with a cool cover  ;)

Ed

Quote from: Rev. Austin on July 31, 2010, 04:25:37 AM
Quote from: elay2433 on July 30, 2010, 02:08:01 PM
I can't even work out what dollar amount 20K words would be at 1/4 cent a word, I honestly can't.  :scratch:  ::)  :grin:

It's $50 USD.

I know what you mean about the cool cover, though. If I really like a project then I'll send something off, even if there is no reward for doing so, other than being a part of it.

elay2433

I'd do the same. When it's an obvious labor of love, like Black Ink Horror is for example, it's worth giving up the goods for next to nothing. I've sold two stories to Pill Hill so far, and I have to admit, I'm a bit embarrassed about the representation (I sold to their first two antho's). The art for their earlier ventures was terribly generic. I offered my services -- being a graphic artist -- but was deftly turned down, assured that it was already taken care of. And it was. I'm afraid that anyone with a graphics program today is an artist, in their own mind at least. Seems they're getting better though. And good to have them there -- a solid press they've got going.

Done ranting. Sorry.

Ed

Art on the internet is a curious thing. I know my way around Photoshop pretty well, but don't consider myself an artist in any shape or form. I only started it out of necessity -- I didn't have the funds available to pay somebody to do the artwork. I've seen people demand fairly high rates of pay for something that would take me about fifteen minutes to knock up. The one that sticks in my mind was used as a book cover. All it consisted of was layers cut from stock photographs and pasted together. The artist wanted $300 for it, and got pretty assy when I commented that I didn't realise there was a market for photo manips. The proportions were all wrong. It looked amateurish to me, but everybody else seemed to like it. It was used for a book cover:

The thing that strikes me immediately is her eyes are too high and out of line with her face. They've obviously been added with the layer opacity set down to make it look like the cloth is translucent. The various creatures have been pasted on with a bit of drop shadow, and that's it. If it was mine I wouldn't be happy with it being out there with my name on it.

But then I talked to a guy at WHC who was really down on himself, because he didn't think his art was good enough to be displayed in the exhibition with the work of the others, because he worked in a digital medium, whereas most of the others were working in black ink, or painting with acrylics or oils. I thought his work was absolutely worthy of being there. To me, he had the vision to make pleasing compositions. He had noticed things that looked interesting, photographed them, and then incorporated them into scenes he had created. What he was doing was art, by my definition. But I don't think he was a trained artist.

What point am I trying to make here? Dunno -- I'm just rambling, I suppose :smiley:

Rev. Austin

Quote from: elay2433 on July 31, 2010, 11:41:57 PM
I'm afraid that anyone with a graphics program today is an artist, in their own mind at least.

Absolutely agree.  I've had loads of experience with Photoshop, no formal qualifications or anything, and I reckon I'm pretty good at using it, but I know my limitations (posters/leaflets/CD covers, mainly).  Other people, however...some book art is just...eurgh.  The worst stuff, to me, is (like music, actually) something I look at or hear and my immediate thought is "I could do that in five minutes".  That probably sounds arrogant, but what I mean is, the artist clearly hasn't put enough effort in.  And badly photoshopped art, that doesn't look at all cohesive, is one of my pet hates eeeuurrghh horrible.

Jerry, I don't suppose you can do comic style illustration, can you?  ie realistic (or fairly realistic) superheroes?  I'm currently looking for an artist for the No More Heroes cover (which is something I have a solid idea for but know I can't make it how it should look).  How's that for a smooth segue and plug?  ;)

Pharosian

Quote from: Ed on August 01, 2010, 04:50:52 AM
The thing that strikes me immediately is her eyes are too high and out of line with her face. They've obviously been added with the layer opacity set down to make it look like the cloth is translucent.

I agree. To me, it looks as though the shading just under the veil over her right eye (left side of the image) marks the lower edge of the ocular orbit, or even the fleshy part of the lower eyelid. The eye that's been pasted on is WAY above that.

Ed

Yep, and look at the shadow drop from the snake, the veil and the butterfly, then look at the direction the shadow falls away from the bee. It's all small stuff, but like I said, I wouldn't be happy with it if I'd done it.