gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55940 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 August 03, 2020, 10:01:08 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread  (Read 107622 times)

delph_ambi

Re: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread
« Reply #210 on: November 01, 2010, 05:47:38 AM »
I've gone through them all reading the first few paragraphs. That's weeded out three or four that I know I'm going to struggle to read any further. Still leaves a LOT of stories of course. I'm now going through seeing how far I can get into each story. The variety of styles and content is extraordinary. Fascinating stuff. This is going to be VERY hard to judge.

Offline fnord33

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • myspace page
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2010, 07:09:06 AM »
I'm most of the way through the first page. Lots of good stuff here and it's going a lot faster than I thought it would. I am quite curious who wrote what.   
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Offline Pharosian

• Obelizer
  • Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2010, 07:20:44 AM »
Yesterday I spent most of the day on this, and got a little over halfway through, reading every story (except one which I couldn't finish despite trying twice) from start to finish. Totally agree with delph--it's going to be tough to judge. I'm impressed with the quality of the entries!

I *think* I know who wrote a small number of them, but then I recognize two from their starts either in the weekly flash fiction or the critique group.

On to the remaining half!  :dance:

Offline Rev. Austin

• loves you like his own sister.
  • Critter
  • Coroner
  • AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE
    • The full skinny on Rev. Austin.  YES.  SIR.  REE.
« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
I skimmed through  a few yesterday but I'm going to make an earnest effort to read through a bunch today.  Part of the fun is trying to guess which story belons to whom - I was wwaaayyy off last year haha
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Offline Kerr

• Critter
  • Coffin Maker
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
The only problem I'm having with reading is the dog. She keeps climbing in behind my back to get warm. Try sitting up to read for a couple hours.  :/

delph_ambi

« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
There were at least 101 things I was supposed to do today. I've only done one of them (read and re-read all the stories). It's been a good day! And amazingly, I've narrowed it down to my top three. Couldn't have done it if I'd had to work today, but I had a rare day off so made the most of it.

Offline mgriffin

• Stiff
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
I've seen a lot of variety already. It's fun to read a story without having any notion of the writer behind it.

I'm trying to skip between pages, so I don't get sick of reading after page 1 and find myself less enthused for pages 2-4.

It's been a fun insight into the "slush sorting" process for me.

Offline GraemeR

• Stiff
    • Graemereynolds.com
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:27 PM »
I have just finished reading the tenth story and I have to say that I am enjoying them so far. I am making myself read the entire thing and then giving it a mark out of ten to create a shortlist, then am going to go back over the top five and decide on my winners.

Offline Robert Essig

• Coffin Maker
  • HELL AWAITS!
    • Confusions, Delusions, and Formidable Impressions
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2010, 04:53:26 PM »
I'm on the sixth story.  I'm a slow reader, so it's a good thing I have two weeks.  I'm taking the same approach I do when reading for an anthology.  It's fun reading each person's top three as they trickle in on the voting thread.
Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.

Offline Kenwood

• Grave Digger
    • The Eyesore Times
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
So what was the final tally? I can't see the story forum.
"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »

Are you sure you can't see it, Ken? It should be visible to all members, here -- http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php?topic=3428.0

The final tally was fifty stories. Three more than last year :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline notsoscarey

• Grave Digger
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
Wow...I need to read faster.  I have even more respect for editors now but this is truly fun!

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »
I'm still only on one. Oh dear! Luckily I have Friday morning off - hopefully I can get through a couple then...
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Rook

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
I am doing fairly well, in that I read them all yesterday and have begun re-reading my shortlist. (Having a cold is a wonderful excuse to stare at the computer most of the day...)

But, on the other hand, I have very little idea which ones I am going to vote for... so having the two weeks looks like a good thing!  :afro:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Offline Kenwood

• Grave Digger
    • The Eyesore Times
« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »

Are you sure you can't see it, Ken? It should be visible to all members, here -- http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php?topic=3428.0

The final tally was fifty stories. Three more than last year :afro:
I can see it. Sorry about that. Apparently I was looking for something far less obvious. Haha.

And very cool on the response! I hope you're in better spirits now. =)
"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.215 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx