gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 24, 2020, 01:20:02 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread  (Read 98049 times)
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »

I have to say that I have been reading pretty much all day since the files were posted.  My eyes are friggin killing me.  I now have a profound utter respect for editors.  It is neither an easy task to read them all, let alone comment, and then pick from an excellent group (let alone edit as well).  [Bows to all editors] 2thumbs I really enjoyed all of the stories and it was a great read.  Good luck to the winners.  cheers  And yes...I do love these little smileys a lot. 

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Kerr
Critter

« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »

What a whoot. Great stuff and I laughed till I cried tonight. Thank you all.   
Charlie In The Box
Charlie in The Box
Critter

« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:37 AM »

Slowly reading through the stories and writing down my comments. Really enjoying some of the stories I've read so far!!

Ready to hunker down in my box for the weekend, to finish my story!!
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »

Me, too. Morning, noon, and night my existence is filled with horror and some very twisted people  afro At last count I was up to 17. I'm picking at random from the thread and already I've got a couple of great stories marked for rereading. Great fun, but challenging, and it's definitely put my off being an editor.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
william
Critter

write. wrinse. wrepeat.

« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »

Me, too. Morning, noon, and night my existence is filled with horror and some very twisted people  afro At last count I was up to 17. I'm picking at random from the thread and already I've got a couple of great stories marked for rereading. Great fun, but challenging, and it's definitely put my off being an editor.
Derek

Hey, I'm at 17 too! And hoping to knock out a few more today. Sure am glad we have until the 14th. I should be done well ahead of schedule, but its nice to have the time just in case!  smiley

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »

Pheweee!  I only ended up basically skipping a few stories, which just goes to show the level of talent on offer this time (not like last time felt like a dirge or anything).  Yeah, I'm sucking up to everybody but you might not even have voted for me at all, so what the hell.  It was fun.  Same time next year?  Wink

Actually, a serious question for Ed/Kenwood: If we don't get anywhere with our entry in this comp, would we still be allowed to sub it to ST?  Or would you prefer if we never sully your inbox with our literary filth?  grin

facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »

Ahhhh. About one-fifth left to go, but I think I need a break. I don't know how editors do it! I'm still having fun reading, though, and it's interesting to read the opinions on the voting thread too (although I'm being careful to avoid spoilers). It sure is funny how different opinions can be! One man's trash is another man's treasure and all.  azn
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2010, 08:58:06 PM »

Well, editors have more than two weeks to read fifty stories or else they'd end up like this: 

I'm 1/3 of the way through.  I had to stop for a day to finish editing an anthology and submit a few stories.  Now I'm going to dig in for the final 2/3.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2010, 06:30:55 AM »

a suggestion:- first read the pathetic stories, then you' ll be left with the good ones to choose from.... that should save time.   Wink
Charlie In The Box
Charlie in The Box
Critter

« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »

@ LashSlash,

I would disagree with your word "Pathetic" stories because I'm confident in saying that every person who sent in an entry put their heart and soul into creating what they felt was the best story for them. Although they may not have produced a publishable piece of material, they made ever effort to try, depending on what level they are at in the always learning to improve, craft of writing.

So, in my opinion, every story comes with much effort, and every writer tried the best they could, and yes, there are those stories I've read so far that are better than average, but none of the stories would ever be "pathetic", only a selection of thoughts that may need improvement and direction to become a saleable piece!!

Rev. Austin
Critter

AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »

I don't know Charlie, some of the pieces made me want to vomit out my eyes, I found them so awful.

Only joking!

OR AM I?

Yes.

OR AM I?

No.

Rev. Austin
Critter

AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »

OR AM I?

delph_ambi
« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »

Charlie, you need to get used to LashSlash's sense of humour. He's not saying any of the stories are pathetic. He's positing a logical paradox. He does stuff like that.  Wink
Charlie In The Box
Charlie in The Box
Critter

« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »

Yeah, Ok. Not  a problem. I thought he was serious, because everyone worked hard on their stories I'm sure, and a few could take that the wrong way, well like myself, a newbie to this forum thought, until you mentioned his "humor"!!

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »

I always assume everybody's motivated by the best intentions, and try to view everything through that screen. It makes for a happier existence, if nothing else smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx