gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 12, 2017, 03:13:50 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread  (Read 62237 times)
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #255 on: November 07, 2010, 08:04:30 AM »

Ah, I see what you did there, you tinker!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »

Up to 30 now. Read a couple of cracking stories tonight. Suddenly the leadership board is getting crowded - in a good way!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #257 on: November 07, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »

I fear I'm lagging behind quire badly -- I'm only into the early teens with my reading scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
william
Critter

write. wrinse. wrepeat.

« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »

All read...wow.

Now the first stage of cuts...the hard part.  bangh

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #259 on: November 10, 2010, 03:51:39 AM »

Phew! That's it. Just read the last of the stories. I feel like I've been put through a wringer - in the nicest possible way. Some cracking stories there - my short list kept getting longer and longer. I have 13 pages of notes to review now, and about a dozen stories to reread and from which to choose my top three.

It was luckily I had a few days off this week - no idea how I would have managed this without that time. I'm definitely not cut out to be an editor.

Onwards to round two!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »

I'm seriously struggling to get through them all. scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »

Time to award yourself an extension, Ed? The benefits of being in charge? There nay be other folks who'd appreciate that too.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #262 on: November 10, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »

No, I'll get through them one way or another, Del afro

Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #263 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »

I'm on #44.  This doesn't really resemble what it is like to be an editor.  If I had to read 50 stories in two weeks I would certainly think twice about editing anthologies.  It is good fun though.  If there's a competition next year, I'll surely enter. 

I think a similar comp with flash fiction would be fun.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
jingold
Critter

« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

Robert -- Shock Totem has a flash contest set up like this too (it'll probably start up again in January).  The stories are prompt-based and you only have a week to write them, but it's great fun too.

On another note--and as much fun as it always is--I'll be really glad when this is over.  Between checking the voting thread like a crazy person and reading all the entries, I've been useless writing-wise for the past week and a half.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #265 on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »

Between checking the voting thread like a crazy person and reading all the entries, I've been useless writing-wise for the past week and a half.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!   rolleyes
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »

I've been useless for far longer than a week and half!

Robert B. Parker
Kenwood
Grave Digger

« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »

I'm on #44.  This doesn't really resemble what it is like to be an editor.  If I had to read 50 stories in two weeks I would certainly think twice about editing anthologies.  It is good fun though.  If there's a competition next year, I'll surely enter. 

We get nearly 100 submissions a week at Shock Totem, sometimes more. I'd gladly take 50 every two weeks. Haha.

"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »

We get nearly 100 submissions a week at Shock Totem, sometimes more. I'd gladly take 50 every two weeks. Haha.

I stand corrected.  Damn that's a lot of stories.  My last anthology received 200 submissions in four or five months.  100 a week would melt my brain, though I would have to assume you have some slush readers.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Kenwood
Grave Digger

« Reply #269 on: November 12, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »

I stand corrected.  Damn that's a lot of stories.  My last anthology received 200 submissions in four or five months.  100 a week would melt my brain, though I would have to assume you have some slush readers.

There's five of us reading, which is great, but it's still tough on all of us, especially those with kids.

"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx