gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 07:57:39 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread  (Read 62387 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #270 on: November 12, 2010, 02:47:21 AM »

So, to summarise, you get 100 subs a month, chasing something like 4 or 5 slots in the magazine, which comes out every three months. That's 1200 ish submissions that have to be weeded down to 4 or 5 keepers by a process of elimination. Scary figures.

What would you say the majority get rejected for, and what makes those 4 or 5 stand out, Ken?

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #271 on: November 12, 2010, 04:20:17 AM »

I'm on #44.  This doesn't really resemble what it is like to be an editor.  If I had to read 50 stories in two weeks I would certainly think twice about editing anthologies.  It is good fun though.  If there's a competition next year, I'll surely enter. 

I think a similar comp with flash fiction would be fun.

We get nearly 100 submissions a week at Shock Totem, sometimes more. I'd gladly take 50 every two weeks. Haha.

I stand corrected.  Damn that's a lot of stories.  My last anthology received 200 submissions in four or five months.  100 a week would melt my brain, though I would have to assume you have some slush readers.

There's five of us reading, which is great, but it's still tough on all of us, especially those with kids.

How so?  Do you get the kids to read the slush pile? wah wah wwaaahhhhhhhhh rolleyes

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #272 on: November 12, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »

That's 1200 ish submissions that have to be weeded down to 4 or 5 keepers by a process of elimination. Scary figures.

Scary indeed! In fact, that's the scariest thing I've read in a long time - CD comp entries exlcuded, of course.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2010, 02:00:33 PM »

One more day left. My own story doesn't seem to be doing too well, so now I'm excited to see who wrote what!  Wink This has been a fun contest regardless;  I hope to see it happen again next year. Thanks Ed!
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »

Yeah thanks Ed - I've really enjoyed it this year - feel more in the psirit and all that.  Yeah psirit!  I'm full of THAT.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Hats off to Ed - this competition works on so many levels. It's a huge and vakuable learning experience. Like Stark said, really looking forward to the next stage and finding out who wrote what.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »

You're welcome -- I'm glad you're all enjoying it. I've just sent off a bunch of PMs to those folks who haven't yet voted, so hopefully I won't have to disqualify anybody this year. That always makes me a little sad, especially when it's down to an oversight.

I'm still struggling to read through all the entries, but I'll get there one way or another. Jeysus, but it's been a tough week. I've got the day pretty much to myself tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get a lot done smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rook
Critter

« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »

It has been terrribly entertaining and informative experience!  The buildup to finding out who wrote what is exquisite!

And Ed, thanks for doing it! I hope the response puts you in the mood to do it next year, as well!  afro I don't think I would be the only one to miss the whole shebang!

smiley

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Charlie In The Box
Charlie in The Box
Critter

« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »

I'm getting there, I was only able to read a few a day with my day job, 2 year old, writing projects and all. I will make sure I finish and have it posted by tonight!!

Ready to hunker down in my box for the weekend, to finish my story!!
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #279 on: November 13, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »

It has been terrribly entertaining and informative experience!  The buildup to finding out who wrote what is exquisite!

And Ed, thanks for doing it! I hope the response puts you in the mood to do it next year, as well!  afro I don't think I would be the only one to miss the whole shebang!

smiley

Absolutely! I'm just glad that the third time was the charm for me, as I'd intended to enter the 4th and 5th Annual Comps but never managed to finish a story I was willing to submit. It's a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to doing it again next year!

Thanks for providing such a great opportunity, Ed. I for one really appreciate having a place like this to hang out with other writers who aren't teenagers and where it's possible to follow all the conversations and get to know everyone. The contest is a great way to see what other people like and don't like in the dark fiction genre.
Rook
Critter

« Reply #280 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »

Thanks for providing such a great opportunity, Ed. I for one really appreciate having a place like this to hang out with other writers who aren't teenagers and where it's possible to follow all the conversations and get to know everyone. The contest is a great way to see what other people like and don't like in the dark fiction genre.

Well put!  afro

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Kenwood
Grave Digger

« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »

So, to summarise, you get 100 subs a month, chasing something like 4 or 5 slots in the magazine, which comes out every three months. That's 1200 ish submissions that have to be weeded down to 4 or 5 keepers by a process of elimination. Scary figures.

What would you say the majority get rejected for, and what makes those 4 or 5 stand out, Ken?

Well, we have a few more than five stories per issue. Issue #1 had 9 stories and one poem, and issue #2 had eight stories. The upcoming issue (see the cover here) will have 12 stories and one poem.

But we actually get about 300 to 500 subs a month, anywhere from 50 to 100 a week. There's an average in there somewhere. But generally we go through about 1,200 submissions every four months, to get about ten pieces. Though it seems that this reading period has been a bit on the lower end. Not sure if that's because we're now known as a tough market or if writers aren't using the submissions management system we now use. I could believe the latter given the fact that so many people clearly never read our guidelines before. They probably don't know that things have changed. Haha.

Anyway, we're a tough market. There are five of us involved, and everyone has a say. I don't pull the boss card, you know. We all do this for free, and even pay into it, so we all have equal say. That means we have a majority-rules process. A story is accepted ONLY if at least three of us vote to accept it. A story is rejected after two votes, or three if one person votes to accept. We've all had stories that we loved ultimately rejected. I still remember this story called "The Work of Clocks" that was rejected. I fucking LOVED that one. It needed a little editing, but I still loved the tale. But I had to reject it. We've all been there. It sucks, but we work as a team.

So that's why a lot of stories get rejected: You have to please three of us. But the majority are just not very good. And some...man, you can't imagine how bad they are. Haha.

Am I making sense? I'm at work, been writing this reply for about an hour. I keep getting interrupted.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:37:15 PM by Kenwood » Logged

"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off
notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »

eeep!  Time is winding down....
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2010, 06:07:01 PM »

That's brilliant to know Kenwood - when I first started taking my writing seriously (Rev. Austin does WHAT?!) I wish I knew more stuff about the workings of publishers, be they small press, established zine or whatever.  I think it really helps if you (as in a general 'you') know how places do business as it were, so as to better understand the process.  Places like CD help, because  the folks on here really know their their onions and have various experiences to share and all the rest of it, which is something I'd like to do if I get the chance, now I know some onions  Wink but anyway, I secretly hate you all.  Stop getting all cuddly and warm with me!  Eurgh!

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »

I've actually used your new sub system Ken and its great.  Some others have ones like it, but they don't seem as clean....and....perhaps the stories sometimes get forgotten and end up being there near 350 days so far...but I'm not naming names LOL.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx