gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55882 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 19, 2020, 12:58:01 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread  (Read 97693 times)
delph_ambi
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 04:34:52 AM »

First draft complete, and not a hobnob in sight. Only problem is there's not much that's horrific or scary or shocking in it as yet either. No monsters. No ghosts. No zombies. No giant insects. No slimy things from outer space. No creeping shadows. Not even a maggot.  scratch
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 06:08:57 AM »

First draft complete, and not a hobnob in sight. Only problem is there's not much that's horrific or scary or shocking in it as yet either. No monsters. No ghosts. No zombies. No giant insects. No slimy things from outer space. No creeping shadows. Not even a maggot.  scratch

How about malevolent wombles?

DW Cheesy

delph_ambi
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »

How about malevolent wombles?

Now there's a thought...
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »

It was a dark and stormy Womble.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:50 PM »

So I'm getting ready to send my story in, and I am following the guidelines closely, but I don't know what this means: "BB Code to format any italics".  What is BB code?  scratch

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »

So I'm getting ready to send my story in, and I am following the guidelines closely, but I don't know what this means: "BB Code to format any italics".  What is BB code?  scratch

Bulletin Board code afro The easiest way to format your entry using it is to go as if to post it on a thread here, select the text you want italicised, then press the slanting 'I' button, which will add the code, like this:

Code:
I want [i]italicised[/i] text [i]here[/i]

Which gives you this: I want italicised text here

You can then use the preview button to check it's alright, then copy the whole lot to a fresh Word .rtf and you're in business smiley
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:26:36 AM by Ed » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2010, 03:04:49 AM »

It's a race against time for me - up to about 3000 words on a very rough first draft. I'm loving the story but it needs a lot of work. With 'proper' work the way it is, time is very tight... we shall see. Worse thing happens, then at least I'll be able to partake in a crit group soon!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:45 AM »

Cool  afro Good luck with the editing, Del. I enjoyed your last comp entry.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2010, 04:38:38 AM »

This one is written in a style I'm calling "Post Reverend, neo-Delph-Womble". It's an epic poem about a zombie detective with an ambition to record Beethoven's Opus 61 before his fingers fall off, meanwhile he's being hunted by a five-hundred year old sea monster who (mistakingly) believes the zombie's music is the mating call of a long-forgotten (and very hot!) female. It's a piece for under-fives, of course.

Derek
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:39:28 AM by delboy » Logged

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2010, 05:14:36 AM »

I'd buy that for a dollar!

facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2010, 07:35:43 AM »

Hey, I've got a vote already!  cheers Kewl. Del sets the early pace...

Trouble is I never mention any smells and I start off with dialogue... so there's Geoff's and Ed's votes gone...  Wink

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »

So I'm getting ready to send my story in, and I am following the guidelines closely, but I don't know what this means: "BB Code to format any italics".  What is BB code?  scratch

Bulletin Board code afro The easiest way to format your entry using it is to go as if to post it on a thread here, select the text you want italicised, then press the slanting 'I' button, which will add the code, like this:

Code:
I want [i]italicised[/i] text [i]here[/i]

Which gives you this: I want italicised text here

You can then use the preview button to check it's alright, then copy the whole lot to a fresh Word .rtf and you're in business smiley

Thanks, Ed.  Mine should be submitted very soon.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »

If what I'm working on gets suitably polished in time to send in, none of the usual crit group members will know which story is mine, uh huh, no way  grin

facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2010, 06:39:36 PM »

We're up to fifteen entries, now. Three more than this time last year.

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »

If what I'm working on gets suitably polished in time to send in, none of the usual crit group members will know which story is mine, uh huh, no way  grin

Well, you sure had everyone fooled LAST year!  Shocked
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx