gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55958 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 April 18, 2021, 12:33:56 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread  (Read 122155 times)

Offline Rev. Austin

• loves you like his own sister.
  • Critter
  • Coroner
  • AAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE
    • The full skinny on Rev. Austin.  YES.  SIR.  REE.
Re: CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2010, 03:50:41 AM »
Not this time, bucko!   :grin:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

LeeThompson

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
Sweet! Got my story edited and sent in! Can't wait to read everyone's entries!  :dance:

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2010, 02:01:08 AM »
Still only sixteen entries, with two weeks left to go.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2010, 05:27:48 AM »
Everybody knows that #17 is the cursed position... that no-one has ever voted for the 17th story... so we're all just waiting for someone else to blink first...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline Rabid

• rabid reader, wrabid writer
  • Stiff
    • Wag The Fox
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
I finally got around to signing up to these forums. I believe I'll have to throw my name in the hat for this competition. Already working on the story. Fingers crossed.

Offline fnord33

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • myspace page
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »
I've got to get on this. I've had the story written for about a month, but I haven't gotten around to putting the finishing touches on it yet. :/
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Offline Rev. Austin

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2010, 04:06:07 AM »
I started working on something else for this that I've had mapped out for a while, but just never got round to finishing.  Started working on it again though because I've decided I'd rather enter something brand new, rather than a reworked crit session story...

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51:22 AM »
I'm submitting something from waaaaay back. An early Del. From my cubist period when men wore hats and moustaches and railroad watches, women cooked apple pie a la mode and listened to Bing, horsepower was measured in single digits, and stories didn't need to start with a hook, include sex and violence, or even have a theme...

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Offline starktheground

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
I haven't written anything I'm really proud of in the past few months, but maybe I'll throw something together. (And now I'm getting excited to read the rest of the stories too! That's always fun.)

Offline Rook

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
I'm going to send mine in, sometime in the next few days. I'll read it through a couple of times more. I keep finding typos.

It was my second choice, actually; I have a piece suited to a larger audience, that I was really excited about entering here, but it is at 7500 words right now, and while I could cut about 1000w without too much plot and atmosphere damage, everytime I get any closer to the limit, I lose what makes it something other than a run-of-the-mill serial killer story. Mainly the MC's voice.  :bangh:

Not that I don't like the one I am sending. In fact, I love it; I just think it is suited to a particular taste. Oh well, at least I finished it!  :cheers:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Offline Rev. Austin

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
I'm submitting something from waaaaay back. An early Del. From my cubist period when men wore hats and moustaches and railroad watches, women cooked apple pie a la mode and listened to Bing, horsepower was measured in single digits, and stories didn't need to start with a hook, include sex and violence, or even have a theme...

Del

Sounds like a winner!  I'm thinking of reworking mine so it includes an irrepressible lady detective who makes her living as a writer, and has an uncanny knack of turning up to crime scenes without an invite, and then snidely revealing the culprit to the nearby police.  I think I'll call her 'Meredith'.  But so it also fits in with the dark/horror theme of this competition, I'll probably also make her a werewolf or something.

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2010, 12:16:45 PM »
I think I'll call her 'Meredith'.  But so it also fits in with the dark/horror theme of this competition, I'll probably also make her a werewolf or something.

In a little (and probably nowadays(*) obscure) nod to the day the music really did die you could have someone on her trail - the Meredith Hunter...

Derek

(*) But not to oldies like me.

Robert B. Parker

Offline Rev. Austin

• Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2010, 03:28:25 AM »
Well, you just caused me to google Meredith Hunter and learn something new.  Well done, granddad  :2funny:

Sorry Del hahah "I don't get no respect" indeed

Offline Pharosian

• Obelizer
  • Critter
  • Coroner
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Well, you just caused me to google Meredith Hunter and learn something new.  Well done, granddad  :2funny:

Ditto!  ;)

Offline delboy

• Global Moderator
  • Coroner
    • Website
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:38 AM »
I feel very old now!  :/

As an aside, I watched the movie Gimmie Shelter (in which Meredith Hunter's murder is caught on film) last Christmas followed almost immediately by a documentary of Take That on tour. How music has changed in the last 40 years! One was proper rock'n'roll, the other was like an hour in a soft play room.

Grandpa Del

Robert B. Parker

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.171 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx