CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread

Started by Ed, August 10, 2010, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

Bugger - though I have story ideas that may well be accepted I can't de-prioritise the stuff I'm currently working on. I'll have to wait for the 2011 comp.

Woody

posting here has proven unwise. ed will keep your stuff after he bans you. only he knows why.

Ed

That's it, plus any rules Shock Totem stipluate on their submissions page, for obvious reasons. We try to keep it simple, and if anything crops up that isn't covered by the rules, we'll make a decision on it if and when necessary. :smiley:

You could always submit an old story, Woody. Good luck, if you decide to throw your hat into the ring :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Kenwood

"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off

Ed

Quote from: Kenwood on September 06, 2010, 12:15:55 AM
So how goes the writing?

Looks like it's just the three entries I've received so far then, Ken :scratch:

On the upside, it should make judging a bit easier for you :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

leatherdykeuk

Pharosian

I got a couple of thousand words into my first attempt before abandoning it because I couldn't figure out what the MC wanted. I'm about 1300 words into a second story that's looking much better.

But I figure I'm a good five weeks away from worrying, and six weeks away from panicking. Plenty of time!  :cool:

Anyone who turns a story in now is just giving up valuable editing time.  :bleh:

Kenwood

"Happy people have no stories." —Therapy?

Shock Totem | The Eyesore Times | Getcha Rocks Off

Ed

Quote from: Kenwood on September 15, 2010, 01:58:06 AM
Only three! Do we smell?

No, nope, no problem, Ken -- we've had another entry since my last post. We're up to four :cheers:

Pharosian

Quote from: Kenwood on September 15, 2010, 01:58:06 AM
Only three! Do we smell?

HEY! Some of us don't write as fast as others. My story is up to 2700 words now. And the deadline is STILL just over six weeks away.  ::)

Do we need to get you a sign you can post in a prominent spot with the reassuring words "Don't Panic" written on it?   :cheesy:

delboy

My story is still bubbling away in the dark sludge of my brain. I know the setting I want to write about but I'm still waiting for a story (and a hero) to come crawling out of this particular swamp.

Alas, the only thing to emerge in recent months has been hiccups, headaches, and halitosis  :shocked:

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delph_ambi

I don't know the setting, the characters or the plot. I don't know any of the words, though I suspect 'the' will feature. Okay. That's one word. It's a start.

JonP

Reminds me of that old Python sketch: "And he's written the first word, it's the definite article and it's 'The'. Oh, and he's signed his name again ... It's Tess of the d'Urbevilles all over again ..."

I am in a similar position, BTW. Still, there's over a month to go ...

Russell

I was going to give it a go - although it is rather more words than I've attempted before so don't hold your breath.

Ed

Quote from: Russell on September 15, 2010, 03:54:39 PM
I was going to give it a go - although it is rather more words than I've attempted before so don't hold your breath.

You don't have to write to the limit, Russell. A past winner was a good two thousand words or so under the limit, so just give it your best shot :afro: