CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread

Started by Ed, August 10, 2010, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie In The Box

Just read the thread above me here while out of my Box.  Like I stated earlier, there should be a flood of last minute entries coming in by the deadline, I hope, I'll be holding onto mine until the last minute. Call me Mr. Insecurity with OCD!!

Anyway, if I may play devil's advocate for a second. I was in a contest just like this one, and the thing I feared the most was having everyone read my story and than critique it, as I had to critique theirs. I came out with a bad experience. I actually dragged my charlie chin around for awhile, before going back down in my box, and promising myself, I would learn from my errors from this 1000 word fash contest. And I did.

However, this may be why a few do not want to enter, perhaps its happened to them, or they do not like to have to give feedback because they do not want to hurt another writers feelings. Some people just prefer to hand it in and wait for a yes or no, and be done with it. Am I right?

Good luck to everyone who enters.  I see Robert has entered.  Cool!!

I
Ready to hunker down in my box for the weekend, to finish my story!!

Gardner Goldsmith

Quote from: JonP on August 11, 2010, 01:16:54 PM
Great stuff! Although 5000 words is wa-a-a-ay beyond my usual limit ....
Just sent my entry in. And had to mention to you, Jon, that your King Crimson Avatar is DA BEST!
Be Seeing You...

ozmosis7

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

notsoscarey

I'm rather agreeing with Charlie as to why I'm nervous as hell to submit.  I can handle an editor or three dissecting my stories but I'm scared carpless (yes, you read that right) to have a bunch of fellow authors read and critique.  Why?  Beats me.  I'm about to submit mine though and it feels like stepping off a cliff and not being sure you have a parachute on.  Here I gooooooooo....

Ed

Thanks again for your support, folks :afro:

Carey -- writers are often the hardest audience you'll ever have to please, but don't worry about it. It's all good :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Hey Ed, it's a great competition - and I suspect this year will be as much a roaring success as other years! And let me speak on behalf of everyone here - your generosity in running the comp (and the site) doesn't go unnnoticed. Folks like you make life easier and more fun and enable all these great connections and opportunities for the likes of the rest of us. Keep up the good work, man!

Apologies for being a tad quiet on the forum at the mo' - doing my get up at 5.00, drive to Birmingham, work, leave at 5.30, get home at 7.00, walk the dog (not a euphanism), eat, bathe, and sleep, thing at the mo'.!

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Craig Herbertson

Quote from: delboy on October 27, 2010, 02:44:09 AM
Hey Ed, it's a great competition - and I suspect this year will be as much a roaring success as other years! And let me speak on behalf of everyone here - your generosity in running the comp (and the site) doesn't go unnnoticed. Folks like you make life easier and more fun and enable all these great connections and opportunities for the likes of the rest of us. Keep up the good work, man!

Apologies for being a tad quiet on the forum at the mo' - doing my get up at 5.00, drive to Birmingham, work, leave at 5.30, get home at 7.00, walk the dog (not a euphanism), eat, bathe, and sleep, thing at the mo'.!

Del

Agreed, wholeheartedly and just on a tangent  jon's King Crimson avatar is my favourite album

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Kerr

Ed, I'm at the end and feeling a bit retch-ed as I nail this sucker to the wall. Whoots! *does the happy dance*

shiney

I entered this thing last year, and it was cool. While my story, surprisingly got alot of positive mentions and whatnot...I didn't win. But the feedback was polite and helpful...which is the way to go.

Some people can lack tact or just be mean....it can be a bit painful, but as I tell my kids: Ignore it.  :smiley:

If I can get a story about a talking tapeworm to float around and receive a little praise, then I suspect you all can have a good experience with this.

Ed...Don't let it get you down. There will no doubt be some last minute action.

As for Ken....Don't sweat him....he reads Koontz...on purpose!!, fer cryin' out loud.
:bleh:
"If I Could Save the World, I Wouldn't Bother..."

Charlie In The Box

I put the word out to a few more folks. Hopefully they will enter as well. I'm trying to finish up my story. Can't wait for the fun to begin!!
Ready to hunker down in my box for the weekend, to finish my story!!

Rev. Austin

Aaaannnd I've just sent mine in.  It's about a chain-smoking golem with herpes, and his hilarious, but deadly, quest to find a cure.  It's called 'Stone Can Get Itchy'.

I have actually entered, but it's not really about this.  It's actually about a downtrodden hooker crack addict.  OR IS IT?  No.
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

Ed

In other news, we're up to thirty-one entries now, which is good news -- I feel a lot happier with that number. I reckon we'll finish on just over forty entries, which would be about perfect. Thanks for the help and support, everybody :afro: