CafeDoom's Sixth Annual Writing Competition -- Rules thread

Started by Ed, August 10, 2010, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie In The Box

@ the Rev, somehow I know there is some truth to what your saying. I know I should have not taken it so personal, but writing is very serious to so many people including myself, and I feel it's easier to tell someone they need serious improvement and follow up with an explanation with regards to their writing rather then tell tell them their story is "Pathetic, or "your story made me vomit" LOL!!
Ready to hunker down in my box for the weekend, to finish my story!!

Charlie In The Box

Quote from: Ed on November 05, 2010, 02:37:04 PM
I always assume everybody's motivated by the best intentions, and try to view everything through that screen. It makes for a happier existence, if nothing else :smiley:

I so agree with you Ed!!

Caz

Things are hoting up. The votes are coming in.  No clear front runner to be seen. All remains to be played for.

Caz, on the front line.
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Rev. Austin

Quote from: Charlie In The Box on November 05, 2010, 02:50:28 PM
@ the Rev, somehow I know there is some truth to what your saying. I know I should have not taken it so personal, but writing is very serious to so many people including myself, and I feel it's easier to tell someone they need serious improvement and follow up with an explanation with regards to their writing rather then tell tell them their story is "Pathetic, or "your story made me vomit" LOL!!

Don't mind me, Charlie - I take the piss so often I can't even remember where the truth begins any more  :'( the doctors say the condition is irreversible   :(
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Oh crap, I think I just did it then  :cheesy:

But seriously (I think), you'll really get a kick out of the actual crit group here, Charlie.  Everyone's very sensible and helpful, and Lord knows I'm a much better writer now because of the fine chumps on this board.  No, I'm pretty sure I am being serious now.  OR AM I? Oh good grief  :grin:

Charlie In The Box

Hey guys,

I don't mind the crits because if it weren't for all the virtual slaps I've received over the last few years, I would not be where I am today with my writing. Which by the way, is not even near where I want to be. In fact, I was just hit with the hard truth earlier today by an accomplished writer who gave one of my stories a look over and smacked me back down to reality.  I know its part of becoming a better writer and if you can't handle the truth, then you may never make it to the next level.

I'd love to be part of you folks here, I can handle the truth, so bring it on. Just play nice!! No naughty words!! Especially from you Rev. If your nice, I'll let you play in my sandbox!! LOL!!

ozmosis7

LOL...I was reading that Charlie and all I could think of was a movie quote...

"You want the truth!  You can't handle the truth!"

It's actually been used so much, but still funny.  Even the toughest crits (and I have had plenty as I suspect any have) define your craft.  Set small goals and keep conquering them.  But, honestly if not for the help of some of my peers I would be back at square one as I was a few years back.  Brutal honesty is sometimes the best building block to build with.
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

Ed

I dunno, really. As you can see from the votes and comments that are coming in for the stories in the comp, the 'truth' depends very much on who's giving it out, so you have to temper any brutal honesty you get by bearing in mind what you're trying to achieve in your writing. Keep to your own editorial line, because strong unique voices are what editors look out for :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Quote from: Charlie In The Box on November 05, 2010, 09:14:47 PM

I'd love to be part of you folks here, I can handle the truth, so bring it on. Just play nice!! No naughty words!! Especially from you Rev. If your nice, I'll let you play in my sandbox!! LOL!!

Ooo, matron!

But Ed's right - I'm pretty sure everyone, not matter what level of writer they are, gets told by one person their story is awful, only for someone else to say "Well, I liked how they used this and this and this".  Potato/Potato  :cheesy:

ozmosis7

Thats true too...although...brutal honesty also works that way as well.  They could honesty love your story while someone else hates it.  But, I'll go back to a statement I made a while back.  its always better to salt and pepper.

delboy

Any art is purely subjective. So many times people have foisted their "all time favourite book" on me with the absolute surety that "you'll love it" and, almost without exception, there's been none of them would make it anywhere near my own top 100 books. Probably not even my top 500. The same thing has happened in reverse - the only difference being I know my taste is impeccable and if the people I foist my "all time favourite books" upon don't get them then the problem is clearly with them, not with the books... ;)

Same with music. I only have to turn on Radio 1 or watch a few minutes of any music channel to know that millions and millions can be - and are - wrong. Again:  ;)

As regards this great competition a couple of thoughts have cropped up several times. One is that, for quite a few of the stories, I've thought "I wish this could go through the CD Crit Group." The combined opinion and knowledge of the people there could help polish some of these already fine stories into gleaming gems. Second thought is that a number of times I've been really glad I elected to read right the way through all the stories. One of my absolute favourites so far (I'm only up to about 22) wouldn't have got past the opening few paragraphs had I been applying my normal preferences / criteria. Third thought is that, looking at the stories and the voting, how different we all are! One of my favourite bits of the comp' is afterwards, once the results and authors are revealed, is to go back and see who wrote which story, what stories they liked the most, what they're tastes tend to be etc etc That way you can start to uderstand the scoring and the relevance of that scoring to your own writing. I guess this is a complicated way of saying if someone who is into uber-splatterpunk give your post-literary modernistic monologue a low score you mightn't need to take it to heart too much.

Anyway, you're all wrong. When I give my votes they will be the definitive votes  ;)

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

ozmosis7

I agree Delboy.  I wanted to read them all the way through for that very reason.  Sometimes the opening sentence or first few lines can make an absolutely great piece seem bad.  And, so if you drop it too soon, you might miss something great.  This was true in this competition for me on a few.  But, I also figure, if they put in the time to write them, I should put in the time and try to offer something on as many as I could (albeit not much and opinion only).

Rev. Austin

Sometimes I'll hate the start of a story but then BAM! halfway through it gets amazing, and I found that with a few of the stories in the comp.  But as the flipside of the comment Del made, and as I've already said - I'm obviously the clear favourite and it's pretty obvious he's going to put my story in all three places, and also as every honourable mention on his list.  That's just the way the world works, and you chumps better get used to it! hahaah! HAHAH! BWAHAHAAH!!!!

(Dell, your money's in the post)

delboy

QuoteBut as the flipside of the comment Del made, and as I've already said - I'm obviously the clear favourite and it's pretty obvious he's going to put my story in all three places, and also as every honourable mention on his list.

Goes without saying, Rev. So, hopefully, if I don't say it, you'll understand.  :cool:

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker