gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 12:13:52 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft WORD formatting....  (Read 2023 times)
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« on: October 08, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »

Anyone know how to stop Word putting an open quotation mark after a hypen/dash?  thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delph_ambi
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:28:36 PM »

How odd. Mine doesn't do that. I can only suggest you go to the auto-formatting options and find and un-tick the offending box.
leatherdykeuk
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »

This isn't a comes-as-standard option -- not on w2003 anyway -- so what delph said.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »

Rev, I've never heard of Word doing that before, BUT it does sound as though it may somehow have put -" (or whatever it looks like) into the dictionary/table it uses for auto-correction. The user is allowed to add items to that, and you may have done it inadvertently.

I'd open the "Auto-Correct" dialog box (probably from the Tools menu unless you're using a new version of Word with that gawdawful "ribbon" nonsense) and look in the table to see if you've accidentally added -" or --" into its list.

A few years ago, I was writing a lot of software test cases where I frequently needed to use the word "field" (as in "Enter some text in the Address field") and I could NOT stop typing "filed" instead of "field" so I actually inserted an auto-correct entry into my table such that it changed filed to field for me on the fly. It was on my work computer, and I never needed to use the word "filed" so it was worth it to save myself having to backspace and retype all the time.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:51:29 AM »

I'm literally only guessing here, but the only problem I've ever had with Word is a corrupted global template. We all just open up word and start typing, but apparently what you're supposed to do is set up the template you're going to be using each time. The upshot is the base template changes with each document type we put through it, so it becomes massive. I had it get so big it was slowing the whole computer. Eventually it led to it crashing all the time.

Deleting your normal.dot template fixes most things. You can find instructions here -- http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/NNTWord.htm

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »

Hmm.  I did the autocorrect thing but it isn't actually auto-correcting  grin can someone remind me again why I want to go back to using Word over Open Office?  Wink

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »

Whoops ignore that.   I set Word to replace -" (open quotation mark) with -" (closed quoatation mark), but it didn't do anything.  Then, I set it to replace -" (closed quotation mark) with -" (closed quotation mark) and it, er, works.  Very strange, but at least it's sorted.  Thanks guys!

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 01:35:45 PM »

Rev, your initial question seems to have been misleading. It appeared from the way you stated the question that Word was just putting a quotation mark after every hyphen you typed.

Now, after reading your recent post, it appears that it was typing an open quote mark instead of a close quote mark in the case when you ended a bit of dialogue with a hyphen and YOU TYPED a quotation mark. Big difference.   rolleyes
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »

Oh yeah.  Whoops  rolleyes but the end result is still the same, so fuggedabowit  afro  bleh  grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx