gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55862 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 13, 2018, 12:34:40 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Belonging to Night  (Read 7233 times)
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« on: April 25, 2005, 01:38:43 PM »

grin Can't remember if I've mentioned it already on this site, but a little time ago I wrote a book:

It’s strange the way things work out…

Despite being orphaned from a young age, Gabriel Callaghan is quite content with life. A comfortable Manhattan apartment, more power than a vampire his age should hold and a good business trading favours with anyone in possession of something he needs: ‘…people seem far more inclined to return a favor than they are to part with their money.’

But a brutal killing at the Guggenheim Museum, a stolen chalice and a chance meeting with the daughter of a billionaire quickly conspire to disturb his tranquillity.

Now, if he wants to return to his mostly peaceful, only occasionally dangerous existence he must stop a psychopath, discover the secret behind a mystic ‘cup’ and prevent a friend doing something that could potentially destroy her life – preferably without getting his head removed or his heart skewered along the way.

Today I finally got the release date for it! And so, from June 27th (at the latest) it'll be available from Publish America, Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble grin

It's strange the way things work out, but they do work out in the end.
Bebbet
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:05:19 PM »

Congratulations!! dance

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:10:25 PM »

Congratulations!! dance

Thank You!! cool

Bebbet
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:58:59 PM »

Well done, you, and very good luck with it.  cheers
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 04:17:27 AM »

Thanks Joyce
(like this glowing text stuff cool)

Bebbet
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 01:59:27 PM »

Well done, Bebbet. I've heard one or two things about Publish America - it's on a couple of scam lists, but as long as you understand the contract, it should be oksy. Well done for getting into print!

My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 02:02:51 PM »

but as long as you understand the contract, it should be oksy. Well done for getting into print!

I hope so!  undecided

Thanks doolols afro

Bebbet
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 09:46:54 AM »

Quick update: I stuck my book title into a search on the Publish America website just to see if I was listed yet. I fully expected not to be, so was surprised to see I am grin  I guess that means it's now available for pre-order(?).

The price shocked me a little - just under £15 (incl p&p) - but it's no more expensive than books of a similar size from that site rolleyes

Additional: I've just found out I'm also listed on Amazon.co.uk! I didn't even know it was going on there grin
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 10:07:45 AM by Bebbet » Logged

Bebbet
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 10:21:03 AM »

Congrats, Bebbet afro

Yes, fifteen quid is steep for a novel, and that's one of the things that put me off publishing with POD.  Publish America can make all their outlay back on the sale of about ten books, and they count on your family and friends buying that many.  I've heard they ask you for a list of your family and friends, and then target them with advertising, or letters asking them to buy your book.  I've also heard that's all the promotion they do for you.  You'll have to let us know if that's true smiley

Good luck with your sales.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 10:30:08 AM »

I've also heard that's all the promotion they do for you.  You'll have to let us know if that's true smiley

That and sending a press release to the local paper. All else is handled by the Author, which means I've some work to do.

The good thing about it being sold through the Brit Amazon is they have a tie-in with Waterstones, so it might make it easier getting the store to take it scratch All I can do is ask smiley

Bebbet
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »

Very good luck.  Have you seen the book called (I think) Guerilla Marketing for Authors?  Lots of ideas for getting noticed.
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 11:14:46 AM »

I haven't, but I'll certainly be looking out for it - and annoying the WH Smiths staff by standing for hours reading it with no intention to buy (always good for a chuckle grin)

Thanks Joyce!

Bebbet
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 02:13:24 PM »

Guerrilla Marketing for Writers - 100 weapons for selling your work.  Jay Conrad Levinson, Rick Frishman and Michael Larsen.  Published Writer's Digest Books, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2001.  ISBN 0-89879-983-X.

Some of the things are very US based, but I think even these give ideas that could well be adapted to the UK situation.
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 02:15:18 PM »

I'll be sure to give it a gander Shocked

Thanks again! dance

Bebbet
sepia
Grave Digger

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 02:10:34 AM »

Congratulations! That is fabulous.

"For those of us that believe in physics, this separation between past, present, & future is only an illusion, however tenacious." -- Albert Einstein
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 05:38:15 AM »

Thanks Sepia grin

Keep meaning to update this, but my writing's hit a bit of a wall of late, so I haven't visited the site much :cry: The book's popped up on more sites over the net than I expected. PA told me it would be on Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com as well as their own site. As it turns out, it's also on the UK Amazon and Play.com, as well as a few other booksellers and is even on sites in Europe and Asia huh For those who are interested, it's at its cheapest on the Publish America website.

I also received the first copies of the book Cheesy

Bebbet
LesFloyd
Coffin Maker

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 09:52:06 AM »

Congratulations!  afro  grin

"Even if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, it would not be desirable, as one's hat would keep flying off!" - H.G. Bells
Bebbet
Coffin Maker

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 09:57:53 AM »

Congratulations!  afro  grin

Thanks Les!

And to you afro (was in the middle of saying so on the thread when I got distracted embarassed)

Bebbet
LesFloyd
Coffin Maker

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 11:03:54 AM »

grin

"Even if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, it would not be desirable, as one's hat would keep flying off!" - H.G. Bells
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx