gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 05:42:03 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  Forum  |  HELP!  |  General help  |  who knows --3
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: who knows --3  (Read 1949 times)
LashSlash
Coroner

« on: November 15, 2010, 12:37:10 PM »

round about 1910 -- 1915 , what would be the rifle of choice for a long-range killing shot -  perhaps from 500 metres?  both military and sports-rifles can be considered -  with or without a scope.

d
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »

I don't know, TBH, but I can't help but point out 500 metres isn't a particularly long range shot, even with iron sights, so if you're hoping to portray this as something out of the ordinary, you should consider shots well over 600 as expert marksman territory.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »

Hi there, D. I'd say it would be the Lee-Enfield - for details see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

Geoff

LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »

thanks ed and geoff --- i think the lee-enfield will do the trick -- i was looking for something more 'exotic', but i doubt the average reader will know the difference anyway.  i had a lee-enfield in the cadetts - [just for show, being rendered unservicable by its vital parts being welded] -- heavy bugger it was
d   
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »

I was going to say Mauser, because they're generally considered to be more accurate than the old SMLEs (Smellies), but I'd guess where in the world the hit was meant to be would have a bearing, plus what, if any, organisation was behind the hit. On the American continent it would likely be a home grown make, like a Winchester, or something.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »

it all takes place in south west africa [1st world war]-- and the victim is a cow.... and the shooter is awarded the DSO -- believe it or not!
Caz
Critter

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »

Trivia point but shouldn't the distance be in yards and not meters. As the shooter was awarded the DSO I'd guess he was a Brit.

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »

not a brit, no. rather  a soldier of the south african union forces. an officer - a leutenant, as the dso is not awarded to other ranks [though i think that maybe, in that period, the dso was only awarded to colonel and above]. the shot is gonna be a long one - to test the abilities of the lee-enfield and the shooter - and it will be in yards, of course.  shooting a cow - wins a dso? i think that with what i have in mind it will seem pretty plausable and deserving, especialy because it is the shot that set of the turn of events that drove the germans from south west africa [namibia] and gained for south africa [union and later republic] control of the worlds largest deposits of diamonds and copper.... but not really, cus its a story from afrika, and in afrika everything is possible   

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx