News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Podcasting Live Readings...

Started by Vivacious, April 28, 2005, 11:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

We're still short on material, Santhere - that's one of the biggest problems.  We haven't got enough quality stories to make a worthwhile feature.  The relaunch was put back from the end of October to the end of November, for a variety of reasons (me being up to my neck in work being one of them), and we're still in need of content, so it looks like we're on hold again :/

I'm in two minds over what to do - whether to turn Doom's front page into a quarterly e-zine, or carry on as a practically static showcase :scratch:  Dunno....
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

doolols

Hello, Mister Blunty!

Sticking my oar in (after a little while on Cafedoom Hiatus), I think the ezine is a huge amount of work. Selection of stories, formatting, PDF-ing. It's a lorra lorra work. Now podcasts ... I need to get up to speed with what you're doing. I'm quite excited about podcasting, although I'm not sure how professional it needs to be / can be. I've played around with a couple, and I think it can work as a valid medium. I'll come back when I've read the whole thread.
My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)

Ed

Hi Gerald :afro:

The main issue with podcasting is the bandwidth, but we've found a way around that via the internet archive.  :afro:

As you say, e-zining can be a lot of work, but it might be worth it.  I'm still pondering what to do.  Trouble is, I've got so much to do, always, but especially now in the run-up to Xmas, that I'm not getting a lot of time to think on much of anything. :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

santhere

I have found a microphone! It's a incredibly poor one, but still I really want to get on with this :yes:
If you want, I can record some of my stuff, what say ye fearless leader?
Simon Holm Pedersen
- Has a great appetite for booze and guns, in that exact order.

Ed

Sounds good to me :afro:  Pick out something with a dark theme and go for it.  Thanks :smiley:

santhere

I have made three already, pure fun ;D

Though the volume is a bit slow on all of them, maybe I should just scream into the microphone for maximum horror effect :hidin:

Simon Holm Pedersen

Ed

Are you using Goldwave to record them?  If you are, there's a feature that lets you increase the volume - press Effects>Volume>Maximise and then set the volume up a notch.  Always save the original file and experiment with a copy, though, in case you cock it up.  Also, you can undo the change by going Edit>Undo, but it only works one step back :afro:  If you've already increased the volume and want to increase it more, always undo your previous tweak, otherwise the effects compound and get out of control.  Hope this helps.

The volume problem is because the mic is so weak - they work much better plugged into a pre-amp.

santhere

Yes I am using Goldwave and I have tried the maximise thing. But when I do that it creates noise that can't be removed with the noise reduction function :scratch:

How does this sound?

Lifelike

playing with reverb:

Sob At My Heaven, Obese Boys
Simon Holm Pedersen

Ed

Excellent  :dance:

I liked both files a lot :afro:  Thought the noise levels were fine, volume wasn't bad, but could probably do with going up another notch.  Like you say, though, as you increase the volume, the underlying hiss comes to the fore and you can't get rid of it.  Unfortunately, the only way to cure the problem is to use either a pre-amp, or a higher quality mic, or preferably both (as far as I know).  I've got a six track mixer here, and I was wondering about trying to re-sample all the recordings and put them through it.  I have to work out a few plug adaptors first, though. :scratch:

SharonBell

Both sounded good to me. Interestingly, the MSN random image generator provided me a visual background of flying records and wise men following a star. Tres bizarre in combination with the poems!  :grin:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com