News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

who knows 5?

Started by LashSlash, December 09, 2010, 02:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LashSlash

quick question?
are there grasshoppers in england??? are they few and far between or do you have zillions of them, like in africa ???

d

Ed

Yep, we do have them, but they're small -- about an inch long. They don't swarm like locusts or anything, and there aren't that many of them. Enough so you're not unduly surprised to see one, but sufficiently rare a sight for the average person to say, "Oh look, a grasshopper." Of course this depends upon how much time you spend on grassland.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

They don't swarm, but there are loads of 'em. Loads of crickets too. I must spend more time on grassland than Ed, but if you go, say, to the meadow by the side of Durham Botanical gardens on a sunny summer's day, I reckon there will be thousands of them about. As they're so small they take a bit of spotting, but you can certainly hear them. They feature in my latest novel (the Durham Botanical ones) so don't you dare go putting them in yours too.  >:(

delboy

<1970's TV reference>They have strange scars on the inside of their forearms, too...<1970's TV reference>
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Caz

I just Googled the above sentence by Del to see if I could find out the name of the tv show. Top of the list was 'Who Knows 5?' at Cafe Doom. I get the feeling I'm going round in circles. :grin:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

delboy

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

We have a meadow in the loop of the River Dee in Chester and there are thousands there too in summer. Not sure where they go in winter, maybe to visit you, D?

Geoff

LashSlash

thanks to all who fedback