News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

We like your story but...ah...no...

Started by Grillmeat, December 12, 2010, 05:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharosian

Quote from: delboy on December 13, 2010, 06:50:38 AM
I avoid rejection by never sending anything out(*)  :huh:

Derek

(*) seriously

So how did you get your novels (plural) published? Tsk!

delboy

QuoteSo how did you get your novels (plural) published? Tsk!

It's a good point, well made.  ;) I clearly have submitted work in the past but not at the moment. I have nothing out there. I hate myself (just a little bit) for not submitting more - and I'm taking heed of Womble article in Writer's Forum (and Delph's submission rate earlier in this thread). But the reality is that I really do submit hardly anything. I have three completed novel manuscripts that really ought to be out there, but a bit like Rev' was alluding to, I generally think "I can do far better than that now" so I'd rather write something new...

I can feel a proper new year's resolution coming on.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

QBall

0 rejections
0 acceptances.
I didn't bother to submit anything this year.
So, I am even. Does that make me a successful writer or just a lazy old sod?
:cheesy:

Ed

I think I'm 1 for 1 this year. 100% acceptance rate :grin:

Not putting anything else out there until next year, for fear of ruining my average :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

desertwomble

Quote from: Ed on December 13, 2010, 02:31:25 PM
I think I'm 1 for 1 this year. 100% acceptance rate :grin:

Not putting anything else out there until next year, for fear of ruining my average :afro:

As I recall, you probed Uranus!

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

fnord33

Most of you guys are doing better than me. The only piece I've had accepted lately was Killpoet and they didn't give me anything for my piece. I should probably have found that out before submitting, but I don't care too much. At least they liked it. 
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

delph_ambi

You know how all the advice about writing to agents stresses again and again that you must address them by their name, rather than 'Dear Agent' or anything else? I always do. I'm SO careful about that.

One just replied (negatively) to me, and addressed me by a completely wrong name, which they'd picked off my email address. My correct name was several times on the query letter, on the synopsis, and on every page of the manuscript. :pissed:

Maybe I should change my email address to 'notmyname@gmail[dot]com' or something.

LashSlash

return to sender:-  forward the letter to the agent with a note saying you dont know anyone of that name [the name thay used]  .... that may get his\her attention
.... dont think delf -- do it!
d

LashSlash

agents and publishers are deluged with requests. -- a'wish a'wash in slushpiles....poor buggers.

if you dont know somebody that knows somebody who can put in a word for you, you gonna need a 'spark' of sorts to get their attention.

if you are prepared to take the risk of the 'spark' back-firing .... and things can always backfire ... what odds do you give me that i can get an agent of your choice to ask you to send in your manuscript -----

Rev. Austin

I've started lacing my query letters with a touch-activated poison, and the only cure is impregnated in my manuscript paper  :grin:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

LashSlash

Quote from: Rev. Austin on December 18, 2010, 01:22:19 PM
I've started lacing my query letters with a touch-activated poison, and the only cure is impregnated in my manuscript paper  :grin:
-- this sounds to easy... but it could work

Geoff_N

I always have at least 4 stories in the queues out there. I suppose I get one acceptance for every 5 rejects but then I'm only aiming for paid mags though I've had 5 antho acceptances for which I'll only get copies. A rejection yesterday from Lahir did have my name right but it was a form reject. That's just laziness IMO. Most mags have submission windows to make reading and responding manageable. As the sub editor for Escape Velocity I'd respond with at least half a page of crit to all the submitters. I think the problem is with writers who can't take a rejection no matter how helpful the submission ed is trying to be. You'd be surprised at the hate mail, let alone the persistent 'but but but' replies. Manners go both ways.

Geoff

jsorensen

Hey Geoff--I agree some people will always "defend" their work (suppose it shows their attachment to their efforts).  On a different level, when I grade student papers and write in comments on improving some aspect, I usually get the "but...".  I guess some view suggestions as not critism but an attack.  I actually found one of my favorite responses to one of my submissions to be a rejection.  Came from Midnight Echo--story didn't quite fit what they needed at the time (or maybe never and they were just being polite?).  The editor gave a full crit on the piece with explanation why he would turn a particular sentence around, so on and so forth.

So, some may grumble--and lord knows I will at times, but editors that give reasons (such as you) are greatly appreciated by some (however, I'm sure we will sing your praises from the highest mountain top the more if we were told the story got accepted).
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Geoff_N

I'll keep my ears open - and as Rev A likes to say, eyes crossed  ;)