gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55870 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 July 18, 2019, 04:59:13 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "multi-talented"(!)  (Read 3851 times)
delph_ambi
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »

Just been proofreading my (three) poems in the latest anthology from Leaf Books. Never mind the poetry, I LOVE this extract from the introduction:

“The winning poem was ‘ripeness is all’ by the multi-talented Catherine Edmunds. It has a sort of a dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing: the setting was somehow very clear and very profoundly realised but lush and strange and almost shifting underneath that clarity. It’s brilliantly imagistic (sorry to use the same word twice on one page but it’s hard to think of a synonym), it doesn’t over-explain itself and it invites multiple readings. We like that sort of thing.”
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »

Very nice comments.  Gratz!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:38:01 AM by ozmosis7 » Logged

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »

dance dance dance

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »

And 'we like that sort of thing', too!

Great stuff.

DW Cheesy

LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »

“The winning poem was ‘ripeness is all’ by the multi-talented Catherine Edmunds. It has a sort of a dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing: the setting was somehow very clear and very profoundly realised but lush and strange and almost shifting underneath that clarity. It’s brilliantly imagistic (sorry to use the same word twice on one page but it’s hard to think of a synonym), it doesn’t over-explain itself and it invites multiple readings. We like that sort of thing.”

“The winning poem IS [was - THIS SENTENCE CANT BE IN THE PAST TENSE, IF THE REST OF THE 'BLURB' IS IN THE PRESENT TENSE, I DONT THINK]  ‘ripeness is all’ by the multi-talented Catherine Edmunds. It has a sort of a dreamscape quality [that - PLEONASM] we all found [very - VERY IS VERY REPETITIOUS]] MOST  intriguing: the setting was somehow very clear and [very - TO MANY VERYS AND IT STARTS TO SOUND LIKE 'WANK'] profoundly realised but lush and strange and almost shifting underneath [that - WHICH CLARITY IS 'THAT CLARITY'?] THE clarity. It’s brilliantly imagistic (sorry to use the same word twice on one page but it’s hard to think [SOMETIMES WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS THINKING - BUT I DONT SEEM TO FIND MUCH SYMPATHY FOR THIS 'FAILURE TO THINK.... SORRY] of a synonym), it doesn’t over-explain [itself - PLEONASM] and it invites multiple readings. We like [that] THIS sort of thing.”

....... nice one C,
d
delph_ambi
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »

Thanks all!

Daniel, that's a wonderfully pedantic reading.  Wink
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »

Cool intro afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rook
Critter

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »

Congrats! Very cool!  dance

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »

That's cool, Delph!   Wink

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
JonP
Critter

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »

No inverted commas needed, delph smiley

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »

Very complimentary!   dance
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »

It has a sort of a dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing

look how deletiing a single letter can make all the difference:-

It has a sort of [a] dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing..... Wink
delph_ambi
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:20:04 AM »

Thanks all!

and Daniel, I agree, their intro is a bit wordy, but they're Welsh! They love words. Of course they want to use as many as possible. Try saying the sentence out loud with a strong Welsh accent. It works. Say it in received English, on the other hand, and the instinct is to drop the spare 'a'.
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 04:33:33 AM »

so the welsh use a lot of words and they read out aloud?   hmmmm....... never would have guesed .......  --- thanks delf
JonP
Critter

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 05:32:55 AM »

Yep. Read it in the style of Richard Burton doing Under Milk Wood (or War of the Worlds, according to preference) and it sounds even better smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx