News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

"multi-talented"(!)

Started by delph_ambi, January 12, 2011, 11:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delph_ambi

Just been proofreading my (three) poems in the latest anthology from Leaf Books. Never mind the poetry, I LOVE this extract from the introduction:

"The winning poem was 'ripeness is all' by the multi-talented Catherine Edmunds. It has a sort of a dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing: the setting was somehow very clear and very profoundly realised but lush and strange and almost shifting underneath that clarity. It's brilliantly imagistic (sorry to use the same word twice on one page but it's hard to think of a synonym), it doesn't over-explain itself and it invites multiple readings. We like that sort of thing."

ozmosis7

Very nice comments.  Gratz!
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

desertwomble

And 'we like that sort of thing', too!

Great stuff.

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

LashSlash

"The winning poem was 'ripeness is all' by the multi-talented Catherine Edmunds. It has a sort of a dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing: the setting was somehow very clear and very profoundly realised but lush and strange and almost shifting underneath that clarity. It's brilliantly imagistic (sorry to use the same word twice on one page but it's hard to think of a synonym), it doesn't over-explain itself and it invites multiple readings. We like that sort of thing."

"The winning poem IS [was - THIS SENTENCE CANT BE IN THE PAST TENSE, IF THE REST OF THE 'BLURB' IS IN THE PRESENT TENSE, I DONT THINK]  'ripeness is all' by the multi-talented Catherine Edmunds. It has a sort of a dreamscape quality [that - PLEONASM] we all found [very - VERY IS VERY REPETITIOUS]] MOST  intriguing: the setting was somehow very clear and [very - TO MANY VERYS AND IT STARTS TO SOUND LIKE 'WANK'] profoundly realised but lush and strange and almost shifting underneath [that - WHICH CLARITY IS 'THAT CLARITY'?] THE clarity. It's brilliantly imagistic (sorry to use the same word twice on one page but it's hard to think [SOMETIMES WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS THINKING - BUT I DONT SEEM TO FIND MUCH SYMPATHY FOR THIS 'FAILURE TO THINK.... SORRY] of a synonym), it doesn't over-explain [itself - PLEONASM] and it invites multiple readings. We like [that] THIS sort of thing."

....... nice one C,
d

delph_ambi

Thanks all!

Daniel, that's a wonderfully pedantic reading.  ;)

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rook

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Rev. Austin

facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

JonP

No inverted commas needed, delph :)

Pharosian

LashSlash

It has a sort of a dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing

look how deletiing a single letter can make all the difference:-

It has a sort of [a] dreamscape quality that we all found very intriguing..... ;)

delph_ambi

Thanks all!

and Daniel, I agree, their intro is a bit wordy, but they're Welsh! They love words. Of course they want to use as many as possible. Try saying the sentence out loud with a strong Welsh accent. It works. Say it in received English, on the other hand, and the instinct is to drop the spare 'a'.

LashSlash

so the welsh use a lot of words and they read out aloud?   hmmmm....... never would have guesed .......  --- thanks delf

JonP

Yep. Read it in the style of Richard Burton doing Under Milk Wood (or War of the Worlds, according to preference) and it sounds even better :)

leatherdykeuk

delboy

Lovely comments - and spot on! Poetry and painting and music and prose - and that's just the artistic stuff. I'm sure there are loads of other facets to your talents. Way to go!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker