gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 02:17:38 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  Forum  |  HELP!  |  General help  |  who knows 6?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: who knows 6?  (Read 4615 times)
delph_ambi
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 04:48:08 AM »

For the singluar, you'd certainly write duchess' hat, but I think you'd say 'duchesses' hat. Just as you'd write Jesus' hat to be correct, but you'd probably say 'Jesuses' hat because it's easier to say and everyone would know what you meant.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 04:59:53 AM »

So if you were talking about a minor feather in the hat belonging to the Duchess' Uncle James, you'd write "The duchess' Uncle James's' hat's feather was scarcely worth talking about" ?

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 05:16:49 AM »

I think the way you've written that, Uncle James must be conjoined twins (both called James).  scratch
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 05:24:46 AM »

Yes, I never intended that second ' to appear. The situation was made more complex because the Duchess's family always referred to Uncle James (who, actually was only visiting) as Unc'e Jam's (pronounced Unkie Jams)... so really should I have written:

"The duchess' Unc'e Jam's's (o'er from watching the football at St James' Park) hat's feather was scarcely worth talking about" ?

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
delph_ambi
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »

Yes! Go to the top of the class!  afro
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »

phew, to all of that!!!....
Yes! Go to the top of the class!  afro
.... no wonder i spent a lot of time in the corner Wink
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

scratch My brain hurts....

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rook
Critter

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »

We shall have to op-er-ate.

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx