gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55956 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 March 01, 2021, 02:18:41 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Dark Arts  |  Miscellaneous  |  Alone in a Crowd
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Alone in a Crowd  (Read 7809 times)

delph_ambi

Re: Alone in a Crowd
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 04:14:06 AM »
Thanks everyone! I've never read any of the Dark Tower series, so can't comment, but to me, this pic looks a bit like Brixton in the early sixties. I've no idea where the source photo was actually taken. I cut it out of a magazine years ago. I have piles and piles of interesting photographs from magazines and papers that I use to prompt writing or artwork.

Offline LashSlash

• Coroner
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
quote author=delph_ambi link=topic=3877.msg42416#msg42416 date=1296755956]
I love the randomness of your reactions to my artwork on this forum, Daniel.  :grin:
[/quote]

would you prefer something like this:-

alone in a crowd

properly chosen a title should both economise description and stimulate imagination. it does neither. perhaps a more fortunate title 'alone and cowed' could be deemed functional.

to have reached thirty without success is to have failed in life, and this drawing captures failure with a post-thirty man, unloved kucky-lips and a face half-shadowed in no danger of immenent aquaintance.

this is a reality of life rendition and one can escape into the drawing. it hints of mckenningrow brfore his modern period, with a touch of gladscurry his   former master. [note the man with a hat in the backround and his viewpoint - are we the only ones interested the man in the lab-coat?]

some correction is needed, as the man seems to have discovered himself in sutu, without having wended his way through the milling crowd.

....etc

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:48:49 AM by LashSlash »

delph_ambi

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »
Thanks Daniel. I wrote a story about a pompous art critic once. Got it published too, in the 2009 Whittaker anthology (thanks to Geoff's astute judging of that particular contest). Your comment reminded me of the way 'Professor Ophilius Dowden' talked in that story. The professor came to a sticky end, as I recall.  :azn:

Offline Robert Essig

• Coffin Maker
  • HELL AWAITS!
    • Confusions, Delusions, and Formidable Impressions
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »
Love the art.  Makes me feel panicked, particularly the way the buildings are illustrated giving the drawing movement.  It looks like everything is moving except the man.  I'm glad I don't live in the city.
Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.

delph_ambi

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »
Thanks Robert. I love the city, but it can be a scary and anonymous place.

Offline ozmosis7

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • The Dark Fiction of Kenneth W. Cain
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
For clarification on something I mentioned.

The DarkTower books are the culmination of King's life. So many of his books are brought into them in small bits or large chunks. Some books have great significance, while others have very little. But almost all of his main big sellers are related in some way.

So the stand, IT, Salem's Lot and the like are all in there.  THen the stories he wrote during this long period of the DarkTower stories are even more intertwined. You see characters moving into the series and being important.

"A Buick 8" is one of these latter books. But as a stand alone book it is one of my favorites to a large degree. I could never put my finger on whether it was because of how it was written or the time period or place it occurs, but I love it. There is just a certain feel I got when I read that one. And this picture reminds me of a specific scene in the book that is very brief.

So anytime you get that sort of feel from a picture I think you've succeeded. :dance:
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

delph_ambi

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 05:19:48 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

One day I'm going to have to start reading King. Definitely.

Cafe Doom  |  The Dark Arts  |  Miscellaneous  |  Alone in a Crowd

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx