gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 12:39:58 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TIME magazine - old issues online (and I do mean OLD)  (Read 6891 times)
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« on: February 18, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »

I've only just found out you can read (all?) old TIME magazines on their website!  As a research tool it beats trawling Google, I reckon, plus it's a nice way to get to grips with the language of the time (I'm using it to research something set at the tailend of 1940).  Blimey, this post doesn't half sound like I'm a spambot haha

Anyway  Cheesy here's a link! http://www.time.com/time/magazine

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Rook
Critter

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »

What a useful link, Rev! Thanks.  afro

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:41:31 AM »

Interesting stuff -- thanks, Rev afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »

That should come in handy! I just spent the last hour or so surfing the site. Hmm.... could also prove to be a big time sink!  rolleyes
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:19:14 AM »

I was a bit naughty and spent most of my shift at work the other day reading it haha I was reading an article (in the Mon Dec 23rd 1940 issue) about Nazis vs Christianity (80% of concentration camp 'residents' were Christian, allegedly) and two thoughts crossed my mind.  The first was 'Wow, I had no idea about any of this' and the second one was 'Hang on, just how much of this is propaganda'.  Still very interesting, mind you.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:37:26 AM »

That's the only problem with reading stuff containing an editorial bias -- you're never quite sure how much the information is skewed. Still, anything that makes us think and question what we know must be a good thing, as long as we take the trouble to find out the truth, I suppose.

I thought the whole idea of concentration camps was to facilitate the demise of the 'enemies of the state', which included political prisoners, prisoners of war, spies, gypsies, gays, the mentally handicapped and, more than any other group, Jews. I don't know what the exact figures are, but I had always thought that the 80% figure was more likely to be the Jewish contingent. 1940 was still very early days, though. This was a couple or three years before the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, and before Russia even entered the war. So I suppose it's possible that most of the prisoners in 1940 were Christian.

The only thing that surprises and disgusts me more than the 'Final Solution' is that it wasn't the last time it happened in the 20th Century. Nothing was learned, it seems.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx