News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

How NOT to React to a Bad Review!

Started by desertwomble, March 28, 2011, 04:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrign

Ya, I skimmed though that and it was enough. Fact:Every book has flaws, this is true, however there are people out there who love to criticize the work of others under the guise of anonymity, and that to me is just cowardly. Then there are the lovelies out there who just absolutely have to comment on everything that has ever been written without having the foresight to know when it's time not to be an ass and just move on.

Personally if I give 3 reviews a year with a comment it's a lot. I just don't have the time or the desire to go out there and slam or praise anyone's work after I have read it. I simply read and move on to my own stuff.

I know the validity of my own work and I think everyone else does as well. What we all wait for is a little bit of recognition which is totally different from validity. Recognition comes from the publishing company that likes your work as a writer and publishes it into a book for sale. Whether the public likes it or doesn't like, can connect with it or not connect with it is all subjective.

This author lost her cool, but it is no more of a reflection on her than on the idiot/idiots who kept egging her on for whatever reason. Such public displays of criticisms, I believe, don't always come from a genuine or good place within the human heart and are either ignorant or dismissive of the other person's feelings.

Just my 2 cents...for the year...
Leo Buscaglia
Our talents are the gift that God gives to us... What we make of our talents is our gift back to God.

ozmosis7

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

Rook

'Wow' is right...

I have to say, while I would not have said many of the things replied to the author, she opened the door, and continued to 'egg it on' by telling some (I'll admit not all) well intentioned individuals to 'fuck off'.

And she does make self-published writers look bad with this kind of behavior. This is no way for an adult to act, in any circumstances, whether they are in the business or not.

Really quite remarkable, all and all.  :shocked:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Grillmeat

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!

jsorensen

Tried to read through all the posts, but there were just too many and they were all just too childish...A few tried to bring it back to some semblance of professionalism, but it was a lost cause...definitely scary how bad things can get over a single review...
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Pharosian

Incredible. I didn't make it through all of them, either, but it seemed to me the only one being uncivil was the author. How can she think her writing is flawless?  :idiot:

Robert Essig

Any author, and I mean ANY, who says their writing is "flawless" and "great" is sick and all alone.  Even the greats can't say that.  No one is flawless.  I wonder if she thinks there's nothing left to learn or improve regarding her craft. 

You have to take the good with the bad.  She should appreciate that someone took the time to even leave a review.
Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.

Ed

I think you need a certain amount of self belief to make it in this game. Seems like she might have a tad too much of it, though :scratch:

It also sounds like her book would be good with a bit of careful editing. The initial reviewer talks about being pulled out of the fictive dream by grammatical mistakes, but other than that it sounds as if he liked what he was reading. We all get bad reviews from time to time, and I think (if it needed demonstrating) this shows exactly why you shouldn't get defensive.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]