gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 07:48:34 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reputable POD sites/providers?  (Read 4660 times)
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »

Hey folks, my friends and I are starting an arts education collective and there's a very strong chance one of our first jobs will be to provide a creative writing workshop for schoolkids.  All I know about it at the moment is that they (the school) want us to do something with the kids that will result in an actual book being made from the stories we get the kids to write.  So, any suggestions as to reputable POD sites would be most welcome!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
JonP
Critter

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »

Lulu worked pretty well for our writers' circle anthology (still available, haha) Very straightforward and easy to use and amazingly quick turnaround.

marc_chagall
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »

Trouble with lulu is that the unit price is relatively expensive. Might be better value to find a local printer who'll do you a small run at a cheap rate bearing in mind it's for a school. Ask the school's advice. They'll use a local printer for odds and ends almost certainly.
rottndandie
Critter

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »

CreateSpace is less expensive than Lulu and the quality of the books is at least comparable. The only drawback to going with CreateSpace is that it doesn't (yet?) offer hardcover -- just paperback. To get the best price per copy, you'd have to buy the $39 pro plan, but if the book sells reasonably well, that money will be made back very quickly.

KC May
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
- Winston Churchill
JonP
Critter

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »

The other problem with Createspace from a UK point of view is that it's not available over here yet smiley

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »

Comixpress seemed pretty reasonable when I looked at them backalong. It doesn't have to be a comic you produce, either -- they do trade paperbacks, perfect bound and all that. Not sure if them being in the US creates issues with shipping, etc.

http://www.comixpress.com/tools/creator/calculator/

I've just had a look and they seem to be even cheaper than I remember. For an 5" x 8" perfect bound book in black and white, with 100 pages Price Per Unit: $3.68 -- I think that's very reasonable for a single copy price.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:19:17 PM by Ed » Logged

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:31 AM »

Great!  Thanks folks - appreciate the info!  afro

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: