News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

National Newspaper Awards

Started by LesFloyd, June 03, 2005, 06:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesFloyd

I've been writing a web-log (blog) for my local paper for about two months, now, which centres on my experiences in 'recovery' from depression, agoraphobia and alcoholism.

Through the course of my blog (so far), I've helped hand out information for 'National Depression Week' and I've also been raising money for local charities (£587.50 at the moment) by losing weight and getting fit, after seeing my picture in the paper, accompanying an article which was written about me for 'National Depression Week'.

It's been going really well and opening a lot of doors to other opportunities... I'm currently trying to put a charity book together (a project which has gained the support of Lord Melvyn Bragg), and I've been appointed editor of a charity newsletter.

Anyway, the Deputy Editor of the News & Star just phoned me up to say the website has been nominated for a NATIONAL award, which he said was partly down to me.

Crikey!

He's put loads of time and effort into running the site (which has readership of 35,000), so for him to take the time to call me and thank me for being part of it all is a real honour.

It's great to be part of a success and I hope everyone can wish the paper luck for winning the award!

If anyone wants to read my blog, it's at:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/unknown/viewarticle.aspx?id=198663

And, if you're feeling kind, you can donate money to my fund-raising efforts, by donating through PayPal at the bottom of this page:

http://www.floydpublishing.com/charity.htm

Cheers!

Les
"Even if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, it would not be desirable, as one's hat would keep flying off!" - H.G. Bells

WelshPixie

Hey, big big congrats; well done!!

I'm in work at the moment but I'll have a gander at the links later.

*big pat on back*
"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would be useless."
~ Aristotle Onassis

Walker

Hi Les, great going man!  :dance:
I've visited your blog on a couple of occasions and it's very well put together. It's great to hear that you're really making a go of this, sounds like you've made some important people sit up and take notice. Good for you!
Drop me a PM sometime, we can pick up where we left off.

Big Congrats buddy!  :smiley:
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

SharonBell

Quote from: LesFloyd on June 03, 2005, 06:34:21 AM
Anyway, the Deputy Editor of the News & Star just phoned me up to say the website has been nominated for a NATIONAL award, which he said was partly down to me.

HOT DAMN!!!!  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: GOOD AT YA!!
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

canadian

Exciting news, Les. Way to go, my friend! I read your blog every day 'cause I miss you and it's the only way I get any news about you these days.  >:(

Seriously ... your enthusiasm and strength is a constant inspiration.  :afro:
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

JoyceCarter

Congratulations and good luck with it all!

LesFloyd

Thanks, everyone!  ;)

Sorry about the lack of contact, Donna... crazy times, in more ways than one. I'll try to catch you on Messenger, soon.

Les
"Even if it were possible to travel at the speed of light, it would not be desirable, as one's hat would keep flying off!" - H.G. Bells

Ed

Well done, Les - great achievements :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

LesFloyd

Cheers, Blunt... Getting there!  :smiley:

canadian

Thanks for the quick chat today, Les. Sorry I'm so freakin' distracted lately! But I know you understand.
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Geoff_N

You know I read your blog daily, Les.
a) in case you've libelled me in it (there's always hope)
b) you are a great writer. You must be to make a topic like depression so hilarious!

And don't believe that Canadian playwrite - I'm always telling her about you ;)

well done indeed, mate.

Geoff

LesFloyd