gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 05:39:53 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Redneck Zombies from Outer Space (closes 31st December 2011)  (Read 5082 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: July 11, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »

From Michael Knost:

Title: Redneck Zombies from Outer Space

Edited by Michael Knost and Jonathan Maberry

Submission period ends: December 31, 2011

Please do not check on status until after March 31, 2012

Publisher: Woodland Press

Publishing Date: Fall 2012

Word count: Up to 2500 words

Payment: Five-cents per word

Send submissions as an RTF attachment to: redneckzombiesfromouterspace@yahoo.com

Come up with a story that would fit the anthology title: Redneck Zombies from
 Outer Space. Don't just take the obvious idea and run with it, come up with a
 story you are pretty sure no one else will submit. Keep in mind that stories
 should include a strong plot, well fleshed out characters (no pun intended), and
 humor.

Stories DO NOT have to include zombies or rednecks for that matter.

This is intended to be a fun read, not bust-a-gut humor with every sentence. The
 plot should not be a setup for a joke at the end. The ideal story will be a
 good, solid one that has that classic B-movie genre feel to it…with humor
 sprinkled in.

Again, you won't necessarily need a zombie in your tale, or rednecks for that matter,
 but you will need to keep the theme of classic B-Movie science fiction/Horror in
 mind.

Also, please title your story as a B-Movie (Science Fiction or Horror) classic.
 i.e.: "I Married a Zombie from Outer Space."

Please keep the story clean of profanity and/or adult content.

No reprints or simultaneous submissions.

Please make sure your name, address, phone number, and email is listed on the
 first page of the manuscript.

As for formatting, make sure to double-space lines, ad italics where you want
 italics, included only one space after a period.

GOOD LUCK!

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:51:33 AM »

Is there a contributor's copy?

DW Cheesy

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »

I've asked the question, but I have a feeling the answer will be no.

Shame it's such a short word count, too -- I thought about sending my off world zombie story from backalong in the crit group, but that's about double the word count.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »

Ah! I have a wholly bawdy* and grotesque** story partially finished that could feasibly be subbed to this! Woop-a-doodle-doo!

*not entirely
**absolutely

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »

With a five cent per word payment, I can't  imagine that they wouldn't include a contributor's copy.

I may try for this one.  Not really my cup of tea, though.  My psycho-Picaso brother-in-law has a crazy idea he's mentioned to me a few times that I may explore.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:32:08 AM »

Good luck, Robert. I'm going to try and come up with something for this, too.

BTW, this was the response from Michael Knost:

Oops, yes, included writers will receive contributor copies.

afro

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »

I wonder if their definition of profanity includes blasphemy? My guess would be yes, it being an American gig.  scratch

fnord33
Critter

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »

scratch I have never been able to wrap my head around horror that bans profanity/adult content. It's okay to have someone jabbed in the eyes repeatedly with a bent paperclip as long as he doesn't say, "Damn, this is uncomfortable!"   

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:32 AM »

scratch I have never been able to wrap my head around horror that bans profanity/adult content.

Me neither.  Unless it's specifically young adult horror, of course.  Based on that, I probably won't shoot for this one after all.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »

I started on a story last night, but came unstuck as soon as I got to the dialogue scratch

I'm just going for humour. Camped-up B movie type stuff. Keep an element of horror, but only the type you used to see in these old movies.

I remember watching 'horror' films as a kid and being disappointed by how tame they were. Hopefully I can steer clear of that and get a few laughs instead.

Michael Hodges
Stiff

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »

I wonder if their definition of profanity includes blasphemy? My guess would be yes, it being an American gig.  scratch

I have a story I could tell about a certain horror anthology that was OK with crazy amounts of gore, but didn't want blasphemy and didn't bother to put that detail in their guidelines. I was chastised for blasphemy, lol (DO NOT USE THE LORD's NAME IN VAIN!!!!). Needless to say I withdrew my story from consideration due to the complete unprofessionalism. 

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:19 AM »

I think I know who you're talking about there afro

I left a couple of mild swears, like 'damn' in mine, so we'll see how it goes. Still haven't finished the damn thing, though. It's only 2,500 words -- there was a time I'd knock that out in a couple of sittings. Not sure it's going to be exactly what they're looking for, but we'll see.

Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 11:01:57 AM »

I've never thought twice about blaspheming.  I don't have a religious bone in my body, so it kind of slips out without my knowing.  Never got a rejection do to blasphemy, though.

Robert's blog

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »

No, me neither, at least not since I was kid. That was a while ago, though afro

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »

I've just realised how utterly unsuitable the story I'm working on for this actually is haha luckily I have a more outright 50's flavoured offering to, er, offer.

I'm not a big fan of gory stories. Violent, sure, but I'd rather get creeped out than grossed out (I might be being a little hypocritical here  rolleyes ). I'm not too bothered by swearing, though, unless it's obviously trying too hard to be 'cool' or 'adult' (see: THE HOOD graphic novel for a prime example of this).

edit: and about the blasphemy - my born-again friend who's a big fan of my Jonny Cave stories isn't at all enamoured by occult storylines, demons in fiction, that sort of thing, yet she's perfectly happy to read the occult-edged stuff realting to JC. What she absolutely does not agree with is how I have him blaspheme instead of actual swearing. "No man who's as religious as he supposedly is would ever take the Lord's name in vain" she says, which is a fair point, but I've done it to make a point that his morals a little balled-up (eg I censor any swear words in JC stories). Blaspheming in stories doesn't bother me at all, in any case. Also never encountered a publisher who's asked to have it removed or anything like that (bvut I wouldn't be adverse to doing so unless it was part of the character's make-up, like with JC).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:33:31 AM by Rev. Austin » Logged

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »

Mine's finished cheers I'll run it through the crit group next month and then send it off with fingers crossed smiley

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »

Can't wait to read it.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »

Thanks, Oz -- I hope you're not disappointed. I would have liked to have done more with it, but 2,500 words is a pretty tough limit.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »

Don't forget, folks -- last day for this one. Get your entry in. I've only just remembered to send mine afro

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:05 AM »

Oh well -- at least the story made it through two passes, and it's a nicve rejection letter afro

I wanted to drop a line and thank you for being patient with us. We have been overwhelmed with submissions (thousands!) and your story had made it through two passes, but after the third reading we are going to pass on it--not that there is anything wrong with your story, it's just the competition is very tight with this anthology.

Thanks again for submitting!
Michael Knost

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »

So close! Still, it must have been very good to last that long out of thousands.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »

Thanks afro TBH, I was surprised it made it through that far, as I wasn't sure whether it hit the right note. I must have got somewhere near what they were looking for. The story is in the crit group archive if you want to read it. It's not what you would call horror -- more bawdy humour than anything, I suppose.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx