gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:40:06 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In British English, this is called a 'torch'...  (Read 12831 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: August 07, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

In British English, this is called a 'torch', or sometimes a 'flashlight'...

What do Americans call it? Any help appreciated -- thanks afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »

I can't see the pic, Ed, but I know my yankee pals use flashlights to see in the dark.

I sometimes use this site when I'm writing American characters
http://www.bg-map.com/us-uk.html

Geoff

Rook
Critter

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »

Okay, the picture is just a little red X for me at the moment, but--

I am fairly sure what you Brits call a torch, we call a flashlight.  afro

That is (following stolen from Wikipedia)-- flashlight (usually called a torch outside North America) is a hand-held electric-powered light source. Usually the light source is a small incandescent lightbulb or light-emitting diode (LED). Typical flashlight designs consist of the light source mounted in a reflector, a lens to protect the light source and reflector, a power source (typically batteries), and a switch.

But, I tend to use a lantern. You know, we're a bit backwards in the colonies...

Cheesy

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »

OK, thanks, both -- I just remember the funny looks I got from Americans when I referred to using a torch. It seemed they pictured a flaming torch and thought we were somewhat backward over here. I didn't want to use the wrong one in my story and have the editor saying WTF's this guy on?

That site is useful, Geoff -- thanks for the link afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »

Thats a flashlight for sure, Ed. I couldn't see the picture either but when I followed the url I could see it. The first time I remeber hearing "torch" in reference to a "flashlight" was here on the forum I'm pretty sure. In one crit session or another. It was a contemporary story, but upon reading "torch" I wasn't so sure - I thought perhaps it was set in another time before the invention of "flashlights".  grin It took a bit to realize that that was the word for flashlight over there.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

The first word I thought of when I saw the picture was "Maglite," which is a specific brand of flashlight (aka torch). If I'm not mistaken, Maglites are heavier than average and built to last. It might be useful to use sometimes instead of the generic "flashlight," depending on your character.

You can see a bunch of examples using Google Images.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »

Cool, thanks.

Another one I'm not quite sure about is what your word is for underpants, or briefs, in Amerenglish. When we talk about 'pants' over here we mean underpants, not trousers, or slacks.

I've got a character who's looking for his clothes, and I'm not sure what to call his underpants. I suppose I could go with 'boxers', but I'm not sure they were around in the nineteen-fifties scratch

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »

We just say "underwear." According to Wikipedia, the term boxer shorts has been in use in English since 1944.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »

Thanks for that afro

I've actually finished the story tonight. Not sure I'm completely happy with the ending, but it's a relief to start and finish a story in a relatively short period of time, even if it is a bit too late for this month's crit session. Haven't done that for quite a while.

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »

Thanks for that afro

I've actually finished the story tonight. Not sure I'm completely happy with the ending, but it's a relief to start and finish a story in a relatively short period of time, even if it is a bit too late for this month's crit session. Haven't done that for quite a while.

Hope the ending isn't pants, Ed - or trousers!

DW Cheesy

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:53:16 AM »

Yeah, me too. The whole thing might be complete pants, yet. Hard to say at this stage scratch

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx