gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 02:35:55 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Gods by Neil Gaiman  (Read 1986 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: August 18, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

I haven't finished reading it yet, but I thought I would start a thread and give my initial impressions -- see if Robert has the same thoughts as we progress through the book.

I'm up to page 60 now, with around 550 to go, so it's early days.

Must admit there was a point at around page 19 where I wondered what I had let myself in for. The MC is called 'Shadow', and Gaiman uses the name a lot more than I would. It feels like there's twenty instances per page until you get used to it, but eventually it becomes practically invisible. Anyway, on page 19 there's a sentence that begins:

"Shadow was in a dark place..."

which made me laugh a little, but it did pan out as the sentence went on.

By page 60 we're starting to get a few of the main players in place. Not much has happened in terms of the main plot. We know the MC fairly well and the pawns are in play. I don't have a clear idea as to where it's all heading, yet. TBH, I would have liked a bit more action, a bit more movement in the plot by now, but as I said, it is early days in such a long book.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
marc_chagall
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »

If you're finding it a bit slow and plodding, it might be right up my street. Think I'll have to get a copy of this one.
leatherdykeuk
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 04:25:21 AM »

Or you could wait for the six-season TV series HBO just bought the rights to...
marc_chagall
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 05:15:04 AM »

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the more reason to read the book, I reckon.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »

It's getting more interesting as I read on -- I'm up to page 129 now. Getting a feel for the expanding list of characters. afro

6 seasons? Wow, that's quite a miniseries, isn't it? huh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »

American Gods is brilliant. My favourite bit involves...well, I can't say because you're not there yet Ed grin but it involves a lake  Wink

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:23 AM »

I haven't managed to get a copy yet.  Been busy with writing projects and house hunting.  Probably have to order it online so it is delivered to my door.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
marc_chagall
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »

I've just ordered a copy. I spend odd bits of time doing mindless internet surveys on soap powders and cereal bars which earn me amazon gift vouchers, so the book will be effectively a freebie. That's a nice lot of pages for ticking boxes to say why I prefer the packaging of shampoo A to shampoo B.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »

I paid a whopping £4.87 for my copy, on Amazon, which I thought was pretty good for a 600 page book, especially when it includes postage. Free is better still afro

At page 209 now. Getting impatient again -- want something big to happen.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »

420 -- got a bit bored for a while in the middle, especially in the slave bit. It's starting to get more interesting, but I'm still waiting for the big battle, which I guess is never going to happen, and even if it does I imagine that the old gods will survive in a different guise, so I'm not sure what the point of the battle is.Laura is interesting - I wonder if Shadow's adoration has made her a demigod? Seems to fit the theme scratch Would that make her a new or an old god?

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »

Finished reading it late last night.

***SPOILERS***

Not sure exactly what happened to Laura. She seemed to die after taking out Loki, when Shadow took the gold coin back. I thought he was going to brain a thunderbird and take the stone from its brain to bring her back, but that part of the plotline seemed to fizzle out. Did he just let her die, or what? scratch

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx