gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 10:36:01 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Seventh Annual Short Story contest  (Read 35512 times)
notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »

A trusted reader friend said my story was good but not my best.  After the week away I see what he means so I'm totally rewriting it so there's more blood, more creepy, and more me.  LOL

Dad is doing well now--had a heart attack/heart failure but he's back home.   
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:58 AM »

Glad to hear he's on the mend afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »

Oy vey, just found out last night that while he was enjoying an apple on his porch a bee stung him on the tongue (he's highly allergic) so he had to go back to the hospital.  Poor daddy-o! 

I have officially scrapped my original story for something different.  Wheee!
Cory Cramer
Critter

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »

Finally just wrapped up a SF short story I've been working on for 5 or 6 weeks. Now I have 3 weeks to write one for the Doom contest. Luckily, I've been churning this story around in my head for about a year, so the first draft should go quickly. I think it will be a good fit for One Buck Horror, too, which is a plus.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 04:55:54 AM »

Oy vey, just found out last night that while he was enjoying an apple on his porch a bee stung him on the tongue (he's highly allergic) so he had to go back to the hospital.  Poor daddy-o! 

I have officially scrapped my original story for something different.  Wheee!

Wow -- he really isn't having the best of luck at the moment, is he? scratch

Cory -- good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing all these stories afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
QBall
Coffin Maker

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »

There was a comp that I wrote a tale for, but did not complete it. I'll check to see if it fits.
Blurb. Ooooohhh! It's so scary, I can't bear to read it.
Enough of my shenanigans!
 cheers
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 02:10:50 AM »

There was a comp that I wrote a tale for, but did not complete it. I'll check to see if it fits.
 cheers

That's it -- I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight after reading that blurb Shocked

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »

Finally! Computer situation under control and inspiration has struck. Taking a different approach on this one, so we will see how it ends up.  cheers

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »

I'm battling against my story. Can't find the rhythm or indeed the tempo , but I think this time I'm going to hit the word count... Will need a lot of work in subsequent drafts. But I do have a week off soon, so if all else fails I'll try a fourth story  smiley

All that said, I'm having a wonderful time writing it. Really enjoying it and feeling liberated by my new(*) writing mantra - "Allow yourself to write poorly."

(*) Or not so new, as all you crit group veterans can attest!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »

cheers

hahahah that's ace  grin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »

Allow yourself to write poorly.

Good mantra, Del. I've abandoned too many stories because I felt they weren't shaping up. It certainly feels good to actually finish a story though, which I might do more of if I try out that mantra.  smiley

I'm still in the "thinking about my story for the comp" phase. Which means I'll have just enough time to polish a first draft and slip in my story as an 11th hour entry - if I can get past this "thinking" part. 

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
QBall
Coffin Maker

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »

3,500 words in my tale. I am whittling them away. Down to 3,333. Must think up another twist in the horror aspect, heh,heh!
 dance
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »

Finished! Came in under 3k, but have yet to test it on anyone else's eyes. Once I make sure it has the right effect this may be the one to polish.  hiding

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »

Phew! It passed! Few runs and I'll send it your way Ed. We are to format it ourselves, correct? Using the BBcode?

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »

Phew! It passed! Few runs and I'll send it your way Ed. We are to format it ourselves, correct? Using the BBcode?

Yep -- afraid so. I just post them how they come in, so if it's cocked-up, you have to worry whether judges will see past the mistakes or hold it against you, just like when subbing to an editor afro

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx