gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 12, 2017, 03:05:36 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Seventh Annual Short Story contest  (Read 35407 times)
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »

Excellent. Hope to have mine in your hands soon.  dance

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »

I'm starting to get a mild feeling of panic about this year's comp.  Sad The third story written specifically for the comp came in at almost 4k. I wasn't that happy with it anyway (unlike the first two, both of which I was delighted with - but they were 5k and 4k respectively). To make # 3 work I reckon I'd have to add to it, not cut. But as luck would have it I've lucked into a story that I'm having a ball writing and may well turn out to be one of my best ever. Alas, I'm already at 2.2 words (all written today) and not even a third of the way through. Going to crack on with this one and keep on hoping for even more inspiration for #5  huh

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »

Minor setback for me, but I will have to you soon. The wife spotted a hole in the story. Will be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this one. That is my favorite part, although getting a vote is always fun, too.  bleh

So whatever you got Ed, add 1. That's 1 higher!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:49:59 PM by ozmosis7 » Logged

notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »

Sent mine in and it was so fun writing it!   afro
jazminsdaddy
Stiff

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »

Could I use a story I posted on another message board as part of a writing club? It will be changed somewhat.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »

Could I use a story I posted on another message board as part of a writing club? It will be changed somewhat.

You would have to ask the guys at One Buck to be sure, but my guess would be as long as it's all your own work, and it was a small, password protected forum where guests could not view your work, then it would probably be okay.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »

Just sent in my entry. Hope it fairs well against all of you talented people.

Cory Cramer
Critter

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »

Mine is sitting at 2k as of today. Should hopefully have the first draft done in a few more days.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »

Still only have fourteen entries as of today's date, so it's looking a bit bleak with less than two weeks left to run. I would hope to have twice that number by now undecided

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
marc_chagall
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »

You say that every year Ed. There'll be plenty of stories. Stop worrying!
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »

I'm sure you will get several more entries. I just did another round of pimping, so hopefully that helps, too.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »

Yeah, you're right -- I've just checked, and this time last year we had seventeen entries, so we're only a few adrift.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 06:31:48 AM »

Mine'll be a last minute entry, not because I'm still writing it, but because I'm hoping to write it  Cheesy but I do have a refined, short one ready just in case the ol' brainbox can't fart anything decent out.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
QBall
Coffin Maker

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »

My tale (originally nearly 4k) is now under 3k, but it ain't finished. Scatch, scratch, scratch, scribble, scribble, scribble.
 scratch scratch scratch
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:52:38 PM by QBall » Logged
alexshvartsman
Stiff

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »

Yeah, you're right -- I've just checked, and this time last year we had seventeen entries, so we're only a few adrift.

Hi Ed,

I have a story that I'd really like to submit into the contest, but it's at another market right now and I don't know if I will get it back by the end of the month. That market accepts simultaneous submissions, and so does One Buck Horror, so I was wondering if it might be OK to "simulsub" it?

Alex
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx