gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 03:16:22 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cafe Doom's Seventh Annual Short Story contest  (Read 35473 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2011, 02:23:49 AM »

Yeah, you're right -- I've just checked, and this time last year we had seventeen entries, so we're only a few adrift.

Hi Ed,

I have a story that I'd really like to submit into the contest, but it's at another market right now and I don't know if I will get it back by the end of the month. That market accepts simultaneous submissions, and so does One Buck Horror, so I was wondering if it might be OK to "simulsub" it?

Alex

Hmm -- never had that question come up before scratch I don't see why not, though -- you could always pull it if it gets accepted.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
alexshvartsman
Stiff

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »

Thanks, Ed!  Didn't want to do it without asking permission first. Something will be in your inbox soon smiley

Alex
RichardThomas
What does not kill me makes me stronger.
Stiff

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »

thanks to ozmosis7 i've been lured over from cemetery dance. i'm IN. good luck all.

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »

Welcome aboard, Richard!

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
RichardThomas
What does not kill me makes me stronger.
Stiff

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »

Welcome aboard, Richard!

Thanks. I have to dig in a bit here, but a lot of great conversations going on, I can see that already. I'd just sent something to OBH a few weeks ago (they passed) so they were on my radar.

QBall
Coffin Maker

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »

Finally got my tale finished, even after adding more to it. Just under 3k and one more final edit before my editor (toughest old %^$#& you ever met ) who happens to be the gal I married, tears it to shreds.
Will submit before the deadline.
Flirtybee
Grave Digger

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »

Crud! I thought it said 5k.

Sponge, nurse ... and the extra large red pen ... bangh

'Maybe I should just put you out of my misery?'
jazminsdaddy
Stiff

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »

Is there a place to read last year's entries?
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2011, 02:37:22 AM »

Is there a place to read last year's entries?

Yes, but you need to have access to a modified DeLorean to get there afro

But there is an easier way -- http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php?topic=3428.0

Crud! I thought it said 5k.

Sponge, nurse ... and the extra large red pen ... bangh

Sorry about that, Flirty -- I would have liked to have kept it at 5k, like last year. I struggle to write anything shorter than that myself.

Finally got my tale finished, even after adding more to it. Just under 3k and one more final edit before my editor (toughest old %^$#& you ever met ) who happens to be the gal I married, tears it to shreds.
Will submit before the deadline.

Unlucky, QBall -- how thorough was she? Was it a passionate rip, slash, screw into a ball and lob at the bin, or a methodical tearing into strips, followed by cross tearing into squares, while quietly seething? You can tell a lot about your work and the person reading by the way they destroy your manuscript, I think afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »

I've written about 15000 words so far for this competition  smiley  Alas, none of the stories have been less than 4k.   The latest has come in at 4.2k. I'm going to see if I can strip it down. I suspect that I won't be able to, but if I can't it means that me and the wire are getting down together.

If nothing else, it's forced me to write again!  cheers

Edit: Managed to edit 1250 out of the aforementioned tale...so I definitely maybe have something to submit!  cheers  Need to let it fester for a few more days, read it aloud, etc...but I should be in  dance

Derek
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:32:47 PM by delboy » Logged

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
QBall
Coffin Maker

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

Task complete. Not as satisfactory as I would like, but who knows? Story subbed.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2011, 06:41:26 PM »

We're at twenty-two entries so far, with a week until deadline -- that means we're actually two entries ahead of last year at this point Shocked

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2011, 06:30:08 AM »

Mine's almost ready. One more day of marinading....

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
JJ Holden
Stiff

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »

I'm struggling horribly with mine.   Sad

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »

Isn't it strange how we always feel like we have to write something new for something like this? You would think we would all have a few stories kicking around on our hard drives that would do nicely, and we probably do, but we get this insatiable urge to write something fresh afro

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx