News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Cafe Doom's Seventh Annual Short Story contest

Started by Ed, September 13, 2011, 02:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elay2433

QuoteIsn't it strange how we always feel like we have to write something new for something like this? You would think we would all have a few stories kicking around on our hard drives that would do nicely, and we probably do, but we get this insatiable urge to write something fresh

I'd thought about subbing something that went through the crit group a few years ago, but then felt like that'd be... wrong.  :/ Doesn't seem fresh enough. And it'd probably be recognized by a few of the critters, so I'd lose a teensy bit of anonymity.

Cory Cramer

I'm in. Good luck, everyone. I'm looking forward to reading your stories.

Robert Essig

Quote from: Ed on October 24, 2011, 05:36:29 PM
Isn't it strange how we always feel like we have to write something new for something like this? You would think we would all have a few stories kicking around on our hard drives that would do nicely, and we probably do, but we get this insatiable urge to write something fresh :idiot: :afro:

I've noticed this as well, though I don't feel the same way.  Last year I entered a story that was a year old.  This year's entry is new, but that's just because I happened to write it and liked it better than an older piece that I was considering for the contest.  And really, I'm not sure I made the right decision.  Had I chose the other story I would have felt the same way.

Maybe I use a pseudonym and submit both of them...

...just kidding.
Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.

Rev. Austin

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I've entered  :afro: really looking forward to reading everyone's entries again!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Out of the Jar

Okay.  I almost have this story where I want it, but it's coming down to the wire.  I think I'll be sending it in this afternoon.  Now, if I can just concentrate...
My blog: Out of the Jar @ www.KeithDeininger.com

"The surreal is as integral a part of our lives as the 'real,' although one might argue that, since the unconscious underlies consciousness... it is in fact more primary than the 'real.'"
Joyce Carol Oates

ozmosis7

Glad to see so many entries. Should be an exciting competition. Can't wait to read all of the stories.
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

LashSlash

Quote from: ozmosis7 on October 27, 2011, 11:15:51 AM
Glad to see so many entries. .......................... Can't wait to read all of the stories.
.... neither can i .....

JJ Holden

I'm almost there. And I'm at something like 2,999 words. Gah, it's an unruly beast.

Out of the Jar

Well, alright.  My story is in the running.  I hope it's as entertaining to read as it was to write.   :afro:
My blog: Out of the Jar @ www.KeithDeininger.com

"The surreal is as integral a part of our lives as the 'real,' although one might argue that, since the unconscious underlies consciousness... it is in fact more primary than the 'real.'"
Joyce Carol Oates

Ed

We are at 29 entries, now, although I've had a couple of those missing bits, like the author's forum name, that will stop me from posting them if the author doesn't get back to me with it, so it might be 27.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

ozmosis7

Hmm...I didn't put mine directly on the story. Is one of these mine?

Ed

Quote from: ozmosis7 on October 27, 2011, 06:17:27 PM
Hmm...I didn't put mine directly on the story. Is one of these mine?

No -- I've notified those it affects. I had one with just the name of the story in the body of the email. No 'hello' kiss my arse or nothin :scratch: There's nowt so strange as folks...
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

beignet

Will have mine e-mailed no later than tomorrow.  Can't wait to read the other submissions.

leogodin217

Will the forum where all of our stories are posted by private or public? I'd like to be able to submit my story elsewhere if it doesn't win, but having it in a public forum disqualifies it for most markets.
Thanks

ozmosis7

I believe only a certain level can see the posts, so they should be private. Hopefully Ed can confirm this, but I wanted someone to say something as it is the last day before the comp. Good luck.