News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Leads, Plz!

Started by nevermore, November 16, 2011, 08:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevermore

Can anybody out there can lead me to a paying market for an essay on a very sensitive topic (bullying/suicide)?  I've gone in circles. And as a struggling, working writer..."having the satisfaction of seeing your work published" won't help me feed my son or keep the lights on!  Thx.  :bangh:

Pharosian

I just googled "paying markets for personal essays" and the one market that appeared in several of the results was The Christian Science Monitor. Some of the web pages returned in the search were quite old, though, and some of the markets that were listed a few years ago are now closed.

If you're trying to make a living from writing, though, you really ought to consider getting the Writer's Market 2012. Go to writersmarket.com for details, but you can get a subscription for $5.99 per month or $39.99 per year. They're offering a 7-day money back guarantee if you sign up for a year's subscription.

nevermore

Thanks so much. I work for a local newspaper, but don't make much.  I appreciate what you did find. I really was hoping to get it to the people who need it most- teens, you know?  But, looks like I may have to soften it a bit- older/religious types may find my honesty a bit shocking. Surprise, surprise, ppl have trouble hearing the truth!  Thx again!

LashSlash

send an email with a copy of the essay to neil marr -- contact@bewrite.net 

neil wrote a book called bullycide    [ http://bewrite.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=Bullycide#About_Auth ]

he's not reading a lot lately -- but you may be in luck. any comment or suggestion from him is gold.

Geoff_N

My first thought was Neil Marr, too. He has cataracts that are being operated on soon, so a reply might be long in coming. Like Dan said, his advice is gold.

Ed

Yep, Neil is an old pro when it comes to journalism, especially.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

QBall

Neil is your man for sure. When I started my writing hobby, BeWrite is the first place I submitted my work and Neil was always fair. If you are reading this Neil, I just went through cataract surgery and I found it very easy and successful.
Good luck to Neil and you, nevermore.

nevermore

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help. I'll be sure to look him up.   ;)