gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 04:12:32 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crit group  (Read 21565 times)
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »

Cry I still haven't found the time to rewrite last month's entry. I have the next chapter 85% through the first draft, but there's no way I'll have it ready. There are other things I could submit, but it's going to depend on whether or not I find a car this week. Stupid transmission!  v_angry

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Cory Cramer
Critter

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 03:55:24 AM »

Crazy busy at home and work and side projects, so no story from me this month.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 04:20:20 AM »

Yep, it's looking like a no go this time around. Who knows, I may even have something ready for February. Doubt it, but you never know scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Missy
Grave Digger

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »

Hello Ed, it's been a while! Hope all is well.
What are the rules of your crit group, please, thank you. I have had a bit of a writing itch and think that if I have a little deadline to work towards it might motivate me to get my finger out.
Ta and happy new year.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »

Hi Missy -- long time no see. Welcome back. Happy new year to you as well.

We do one session per month, beginning on the first of each month. Week one is for crits, and whoever submits a story agrees to crit at least four other stories in the same session (that's rule #1). All crits are done using the template (that's rule #2). Week two is for discussions. Week three is for re-writes, though it's rare that any get posted. Week four is kept free. That's all there is to it.

The stories tend to be genre oriented, rather than literary, but not exclusively horror. You can post any type of story you want to, it's not a problem. If you would like a look around before you commit, let me know and I'll set you up smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Missy
Grave Digger

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »

Hi, Ed. Sorry it's taken me a while, back at work now and trying to keep up with everything.  If it's ok, I will take a quick butchers at your crit group. I've written a couple of little flashers and think I might like to extend them (ha ha ha, like that's going to happen...) just to see if I can still do it! There was a time I couldn't stop myself writing, now I feel like every word is being dragged out and agonised over, I'd like to get the joy back but to have some serious feedback and to see if I can still deliver a decent crit.
(Oh, the ambition, I'm laughing at myself, I'm cooking dinner, putting washing away and thinking about what I need to iron for work tomorrow and how many naughty kids I will have to deal with when I get there...)
I hope that some kind of commitment might spur me on, I am walking about writing in my head at the moment.
Thanks, guv!
Missy
Grave Digger

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »

PS. Is it a template I may or may not have used before? And will have to find in a box buried in my garage!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »

I'm the same -- I don't write very much these days, but I'm not forcing it. I figure when I'm ready it will flow as it should.

PS. Is it a template I may or may not have used before? And will have to find in a box buried in my garage!

No, it's similar to others, but it's more genre oriented than some, and you don't have to pay for it. afro

I'll set you up with the welcome pack tomorrow, that's if I get five minutes to myself before bedtime yawn

jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »

Hey Ed--first of all it seems that I have dropped off the face of the world for a bit and have been excessively quiet--but seeing as how the Pack just fell out of the playoffs, I found a little extra time during the weeks now...not much more, but some...anywho--I was wondering if we might consider the timing of crit month...we post the stories and then have 1 week to do four crits (if we've posted one of our stories).  Then week two seemed to have lost that discussion mode...was wondering if it would be worth considering giving the crit week to both of those weeks--might allow some to give a more indepth one if there was a little more time...anyway, just a thought...I'll try to be a little more "present" than I have been...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »

Hey Ed--first of all it seems that I have dropped off the face of the world for a bit and have been excessively quiet--but seeing as how the Pack just fell out of the playoffs, I found a little extra time during the weeks now...not much more, but some...anywho--I was wondering if we might consider the timing of crit month...we post the stories and then have 1 week to do four crits (if we've posted one of our stories).  Then week two seemed to have lost that discussion mode...was wondering if it would be worth considering giving the crit week to both of those weeks--might allow some to give a more indepth one if there was a little more time...anyway, just a thought...I'll try to be a little more "present" than I have been...

Must admit I prefer the urgency of having only a week to get the crits done, otherwise it can feel quite protracted and lose momentum. Thanks for the suggestion, though. And sorry for taking so long to reply.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »

On a separate note -- who's up for February? huh

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »

I have been writing like madman. I've put out near 20 subs this week alone, which is a lot for me. As a result, though, I have nothing available for a crit.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

Good luck on your submissions, Ken!

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »

I have some great titles for stories but nothing fresh written for Feb. Sorry.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx