News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Started by RichardThomas, December 14, 2011, 11:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardThomas

http://litreactor.com/reviews/112263-by-stephen-king

I recently had my review of 11/22/63 go live over at Lit Reactor. I think it's King's best work in a long time.

Peace,
Richard

delboy

Good review, Richard. I still have several more recent SKs on my to-read shelf so it'll be a while before I get to this one. But I will... I've been with him since the 70s and it's great that he's still producing the goods.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I haven't read it yet, but your review makes it sound interesting. I'm not a big King fan, although I'm finding I like his newer stuff far more than the old, so either he's getting better and better, or I'm growing into liking his writing more.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Early SK was by far the best for me (Carrie, Salems Lot, Shining, Stand, the Night Shift Collection, Dead Zone, Pet Sematary and even Firestarter) then I think he tailed off a little (although King tailing off still means he can tell a story better than most) and things like The Dark Half, Needful Thing, and Insomnia left me a little disappointed. But in recent years he's hit a fine seam again. That said, even in the fallow years there were classic moments - The Mist, The Body, Misery, Thinner, and probably a score more I've forgotten. I also love his non fiction - Danse Macabre was great. Overall, the guy's just a born story teller.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

RichardThomas

thanks guys for the kind words. yeah, he tends to go on a bit, but i guess after having read 40, 50 books by him it's a voice i've come to find rather hypnotic. you could always wait a year until it hits the bargain bin, although i think i saw copies on Amazon going for 50% or more. there's always paperback too. i too lean towards his earlier work, The Shining, The Stand, as well as Dead Zone, The Long Walk, etc. his latest stuff isn't as much horror, IMO, as it is just great storytelling. i stopped reading Koontz awhile back, but still read everything King puts out.

doolols

It seems to be a common theme amongst die-hard SK fans. Early stuff was spot on, 'middle' stuff so-so, and recent stuff again spot on. I know what you mean, Richard, about his writing being hypnotic. As soon as you open one of his books, from whatever era, you feel at home with his writing, and get engrossed in the story.

I think I'll probably get 11/22/63 at Christmas - my wife and I have agreed to not buy presents, but instead 'give' each other some money to spend at Amazon. It's on my to-buy list  :afro:

Gerald
My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)

delboy

I'm enjoying Under the Dome, but there's stuff in there - author intrusion, mainly - that we would slate each other for in the crit group here, yet it just adds to the hypnotic effect and overall picture that SK is building when he does it. I guess he's really adopted that God voice and has taken omniscience to a new level.

"We have toured the sock-shape that is Chester's Mill and arrived back at Route 119. And, thanks to the magic of narration, not an instance has passed..."

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

That's a really good review, Richard! You've sold me on it  ;) I was hesitant about getting back into reading King - I stopped reading him years ago, then picked up Everything's Eventual, liked it, but waited until Cell, which I thought was okay. Didn't mind Just After Sunset, then happened to get hold of a copy of Duma Key, and really liked that. I think that 11/22/63 will now be going on my birthday list  :smiley:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.