gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 02:34:51 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which OS for my laptop?  (Read 1639 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: December 18, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »

My laptop went kaput the other day -- hard drive failed. I think it was the kids chucking it around too much while it was running.

Anyway, I went and bought a new hard drive for it yesterday, hoping that I could use the recovery disks from my new desktop to load the operating system. Usually you're allowed to use software on several PCs. At least that's how it used to be -- I see now that my copy of Office is only allowed to be used by one user on one PC. I think that's unreasonable, myself.

But anyhoo, the upshot of it is that I don't have an OS for my laptop now, and I begrudge paying over a hundred quid for a copy of windows 7, so I was looking at some of the free operating systems, like Fedora and the Chrome OS. Does anybody have any advice for me? huh

Thanks smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »

I've never used either, but if the Chrome OS is by Google and is anything like its browser I would imagine it is okay. Most people I've heard of not wanting to pay out for Windows install some sort of Linux OS, if that helps.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
marc_chagall
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:29:35 AM »

I didn't realise there was anything other than the various Linux systems. Most people who like that sort of thing seem to swear by Ubuntu (unless your laptop is a Sony, which for some reason is not Ubuntu friendly).
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 02:59:18 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

The only thing that puts me off Chrome OS is that none of the documents usually held on a computer are held there anymore -- they're in the cloud, elsewhere. I guess that means you're completely dependent upon having an internet connection, otherwise all you have is a non-functioning web browser. If it had the option to backup locally then I might go for it, but I don't like the idea of everything of importance to me being out there, out of my control. I may have it wrong, but that's how it looks. I'll have to read more about it.

Delph -- I wasn't sure what was out there, so I searched on Google and found this article, which describes 20 free operating systems. Fedora looked like it best matched my needs. The list is here -- http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/01/11/20-awesome-free-os-downloads-that-arent-windows-7/

Oz -- I just resent having to pay for four OSs when one OS used to do all four computers you owned. How do MS get away with it? From past experience, anything free tends to be a tad clunky, but Windows has had its moments, so I might well have a go at Fedora, see how I get on, and if it's no good I can always format and start again.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »

Ed - the Linux-based systems work well. Let's face it, 99% of us just need a web browser, a word processor, and maybe a spreadsheet. It doesn't really matter what's driving the thing.

Although I've been a Mac fanboy for a few years now, I still have a Toshiba that I occasionally use for Microsoft stuff (occasional bits of software I use are only available for Windows  Angry ), and thats running XP from 2007 or something. Still trundles along fine.

Gerald

My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)
JonP
Critter

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »

I've gradually binned all my Windows machines, and now just have a desktop Mac and a MacBook, both of which also use Parallels for VMs running two variants of Linux, Solaris and XP.

That's probably the dullest thing I've ever posted here, now I come to think of it.

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »

It is silly for MS to sell licenses in that manner. With other OSs not using such limitations you would think they would be more aligned with that thinking. Of course, I believe this is one of the most pirated softwares, and so this may be the reasoning behind it. Still, they should make it cheap enough to get several licenses legally.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx