gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 01:53:13 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contact by Carl Sagan (not a review)  (Read 1376 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« on: December 21, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »

I had a long train journey today so I took Carl Sagan's Contact - sucker for meeting aliens - and I wanted to see how the book differed from the 1997 film. I was never happy with that ending - cop out, over-religious, etc. Sagan's prose is intelligent but far too much info dump and very slow action. Then I get to the end. The same. Then I turn to the very end - it was written from the script of the film - aaarrggggh!

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »

Not familiar with Contact, but I love Cosmos!

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:01:44 AM »

I hate info dumps with a passion. I ditched a Kindle book the other day when it read too much like a rejected Bond script from the '70s. Racing this, V8 that, fuel-injected something-or-other. It was like it was written for a 16 year-old (it wasn't supposed to be). And then I look at the reviews, and everyone's raving about it. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth trying to write well and craft a good story.

Gerald

My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:41:50 AM »

Gerald, I don't mind a bit of techie stuff in stories. Maybe there's still a 16-year-old nerd in me  Wink but I hate pages of back story and explanations where most readers - especially SF ones - would be able to enjoy working it out for themselves. And if it is necessary to have info dump, there are clever ways to do it, as Del told us all in the crit group recently (interspersing not only in dialogue but with cunning distractions and showing action / reaction).

Geoff

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx