News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Domain names/hosting/transfer/whathaveyou

Started by Rev. Austin, April 16, 2012, 07:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Austin

Hello! I'm looking at getting an actual proper .com domain name for my own site, but I'm a little in the dark as to how they actually 'work' - these might be obvious questions with obvious answers, but it's one topic I'm not completely sure of.

I understand you can set it so whatever.com takes you to an existing site eg spandex.blogspot.com - but is this easy to set up, and would the domain name 'mask' any other pages linked to the previous site? [I mean made within the same sitebuilder like blogger.com].

I would consider making a site from scratch (have experience with doing this), and in this case, is it easier to go with a domain name hosting/registration site that also offers a sitebuilding function? I assume that if I did this, the domain name would automatically be linked to that site....?

The thing that confuses me the most is registration and hosting - aren't they the same thing, or is registration just 'buying' the name? If this is the case, if I register a domain name do I then have to find a way to host it? This is really obvious stuff isn't it  :cheesy:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

I use Fasthosts to do all the things you asked about, Rev. At the time that I registered my site they were a local company and it seemed a good idea to support them. They're very good - but there are a thousand company that provide the same services. So I registered domain names through them, rent web space through them, and could use their web-builder functionality if I wanted. For the latter, I simply do it all myself and upload the files through FTP, which is dead easy.

So to answer the questions: yes, you can set up your domain to redirect users to any site, and you can set this up so that it masks the original domain. So if you had current pages at free.web.pages.rev_a.org and you bought rev_austin.co.uk, you could simply redirect the former to the latter and no-one would be any the wiser.

You buy/rent web space, load your pages on to it, and then link those pages to your domain name, just as you've outlined. I've never used the site building options offered by Fasthosts but I'm sure it's easy. But your web space supplier will provide the details of how you upload your pages and it's very easy to create your own or download free templates from the web. As said above, I rent space from the same people I used to register the domain name, but this isn't a must.

Registration is indeed the buying/renting of a domain name. You normally renew every two years so it's never really 'yours'. You can do this through a thousand companies - it's big business; and once you have a name you find someon to rent you webspace, and away you go. You can pay for extra options on the webspce if you want - database functionality, options to build active code pages, etc etc, but I just go for basic webspace. Simple really.... It does make it easier to use the same company for all this stuff, but it's not a must.

Kind regards,
Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I use TotalChoice Hosting, Rev. Domain name registration is waaaaaaay cheaper than Godaddy, and so is the hosting. If you get stuck on anything let me know and I'll help if I can.

The only thing you have to be careful of is some of the free hosts insist you keep a proper web page on their servers, so if you're just using it as a redirect they might get snippy and cut you off. Check your ToS to be on the safe side.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Thanks for the info, chaps. I'll look into the providers you've both mentioned  :smiley:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.